Default Name Change for Daughter in Texas

My question involves name change laws in the State of: Texas, Jeff Davis County

My daughter is 3 years old. I was married to her father, we have been divorced for almost two years. He pays child support and calls once or twice a month but never sees her. We have joint custody but he lives very far away. I am getting married in May and would like to change my daughter's last name to my fiance's last name once we are married. Really I just want the change so that my daughter feels like part of the family. We will all have the same name, including future kids, and my fiance is really the only dad she knows. I dont know whether or not her bio-father would object but can we use the name informally if we cant get it legally changed? How do we start the process for getting it legally changed?

Default Re: Name Change for Daughter in Texas

Quote Quoting TXBelle1174
    View Post
    My question involves name change laws in the State of: Texas, Jeff Davis County

My daughter is 3 years old. I was married to her father, we have been divorced for almost two years. He pays child support and calls once or twice a month but never sees her. We have joint custody but he lives very far away. I am getting married in May and would like to change my daughter's last name to my fiance's last name once we are married. Really I just want the change so that my daughter feels like part of the family. We will all have the same name, including future kids, and my fiance is really the only dad she knows. I dont know whether or not her bio-father would object but can we use the name informally if we cant get it legally changed? How do we start the process for getting it legally changed?
    You will need your ex's permission to change your child's name.

Using the new name informally is a very bad idea.

To begin the name change process, you really should be married first. Then you should speak to ex about it. If he does not agree, then you should get a consult with a local attorney to find out the exact steps you could take.

1. Sponsored Links