Default Got Caught but Let Go Without Police Involvement

My question involves criminal law for the state of: MA

In the bad economy, I'm jobless. actively looking for a job, but the search was fruitless as there's hiring-freeze everywhere in my industry. I know this shouldn't be an excuse for what I did. The shame I feel is eating me away. sometimes I even think of committing suicide.

The story: a local grocery store, $60~ food.
    The store stuff stopped me at the exit. They took down my driver's license information and car plate number, but didn't take pictures or fingerprints of me, didn't ask me to sign any paperwork to admit shoplifting. No police officer showed up. I don't know if they called the police or not. Maybe they did make the call, but police were too busy to come that day. Anyway, they asked me to pay for the grocery and then let me go with the food. They said I'll receive letters from the store and from the police in mail. Of course I was barred from the store for life.

This happened before Christmas. I haven't received anything from the store or the police yet. I have clean record before. My questions:
    1, averagely how long dose it take to process a civil demand and a charge for a case like mine?
    2, the store employee let me go so easily, dose it mean they didn't intend to prosecute me?
    3, how can I find out whether or not the store has filed a report to the police?
    4, should I hire an attorney now or wait until I hear anything from the store or the local court/police?
    5, on the yellow page there's many criminal law defense lawyers. how can I tell which on is the best for my case?

Thanks for any advices!!!

Day and night, I'm living in depression and fear. I dare not go for job interviews as I'm afraid the background check will bring this out. The worst punishment is to live in one's own mental imprisonment. My words for people out there: don't steal, no matter how difficult your situation is!

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Got Caught but Let Go Without Police Involvement

1, averagely how long dose it take to process a civil demand and a charge for a case like mine?
    Days, weeks, sometimes months
    2, the store employee let me go so easily, dose it mean they didn't intend to prosecute me?
    Probably
    3, how can I find out whether or not the store has filed a report to the police?
    Call the Police
    4, should I hire an attorney now or wait until I hear anything from the store or the local court/police?
    Wait
    5, on the yellow page there's many criminal law defense lawyers. how can I tell which on is the best for my case?
    Talk to several

Quote Quoting panther10758
    View Post
    Call the Police
    Panther10758, thank you for replying to my questions.

I have one more question. When I call the police, what information should I provide to them? Are info including my name, address, and driver license's number enough? Should I honestly tell police that I shoplifted and when and where? I'm afraid I would attract attention to myself if the police doesn't have a report against me.

panther10758 Guest

Your name and what happened and where should suffice. If they need more they will ask

update on my case:

I recently received a letter from the store saying that I'm no longer welcome to their store, and, If I go back again, I would be arrested. This is perfectly fine with me.

I called the police regarding my case. The police have only a trespassing notice from that store in my record. The store didn't file a shoplifting report against me, so there's not going to be a shoplifting charge to me.

My question:
    1, will the store charge me in the future?
    2, will this trespassing notice show up in my background check if I apply for a job?

1. Sponsored Links