Default What if Employer Doesn't Show Up For an Appeal

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: IL

My employer (a small business) recently fired a co-worker. The employer was not happy with her performance, and there was a lot of conflict. When the claim came in, it was stated she was let go for "lack of work". This was not the case, and the employer provided evidence that there was some level of misconduct (but very little- a few lates and absences).

I recently heard my boss saying he regretted trying to deny benefits to the co-worker. If it came to it, and she filed an appeal, would she win if the employer just didn't show up? Or would there be a penalty to the employer? Or could they just say they made a mistake in some way? I think my boss would like her to have unemployment now that the economy is so bad, from what I have heard.

Default Re: Appeal Question- What if Employer Doesn't Show Up

IF the employer did not show up for an appeal hearing, it is LIKELY but not guaranteed that the employee would prevail.

There would be no penalty to the employer.

Smile Re: Appeal Question- What if Employer Doesn't Show Up

I just had a hearing today and my employer didnt show. I was told that a decision will be mail to me within 2 to 3 weeks. If I win I will receive 19 x (450 + 25) = $9025 in checks.

A few other managers that was fired around the same time had their hearing and again the employer didnt show. They all won their case and got their 9 - 10K in checks. After the hearing, you will receive the decision in the mail and if you win, you will receive your checks 10 days after.

Good luck to all of you who is trying to battle your last employer. Remember to be prepaid to answer all questions regarding your termination and have a witness or documents to back your case.

Default Re: Appeal Question- What if Employer Doesn't Show Up

I recently had my UI appeal hearing as well. My ex employer did not show up and I provided proof that she had in fact lied on her statements. I was in with the judge barely ten minutes and even he seemed a bit shocked at the proof I had, which included a 5 paged Dr's note that my ex employer said I didn't have. I am hoping it is all in my favor.

1. Sponsored Links