Default Probation and Unemployment

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: Missouri

My boyfriend and I work at a factory which has just started doing layoffs. He's in danger of getting laid off but he is also currently on probation (for DUI's - currently unsupervised). Yesterday he went to the probation office and his officer wasn't there but he talked to one of the other officers and he said it wouldn't be a problem especially since he's letting them know ahead of time and he likely would just have to go back to supervised but he'd have to talk to his officer. He called his officer this morning and she's leading him to believe that he won't be able to collect unemployment while he's laid off (but she also tends to be a "not so nice" lady too).

If he can't collect unemployment, he's really going to have to plead his case with the supervisors at work and if he gets laid off anyway, we are going to be in some serious finiancial trouble because pretty much everywhere here is either laying off or has a hiring freeze.

So basically, I just want to know if he is or is not allowed to draw unemployment while on probation if he's laid off (not quit or fired).

-Tobi

Default Re: Probation and Unemployment

The state will decide if he is entitled to unemployment ins. benefits. If he is laid off due to lack of work, that would not be a reason to deny benefits.

Mo. - Employees who engage in misconduct connected with their work or who voluntarily resign without good cause attributable to their employer are disqualified in whole or in part from receiving benefits.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Quote Quoting Betty3
    View Post
    If he is laid off due to lack of work, that would not be a reason to deny benefits.
    Well, the layoff is because their orders are decreasing so they're thinning people out. He's technically going to be safe because of his senority (he's actually been there 6months longer than me), but they're also rearranging shifts and they told him he would basically have to go to swings or take the layoff. But I'm on days so if he were on swings a) we would never see eachother and more importantly b) he would have no way to get to work because he doesn't have a license (doesn't get that back until June). So if he takes the layoff because he can't work that shift, would that make him ineligable? He would still be laid off, but technically (and I don't think he'd have to tell his PO this) it would be voluntary.

-Tobi

Well, they're letting him stay on day shift so unemployment isn't an issue now, but thanks for the info anyway.

-Tobi

Ok, I'm glad things seem to have worked out.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

1. Sponsored Links