Unhappy Can I Still Be Liable for Child Support if Im Not on the Birth Certificate

My question involves paternity law for the State of: California

So I am currently married with two beautiful kids and i made a horrible mistake by having a one night stand. Now she contacts me 2 months after a baby is born ( which i knew nothing about ). At the time we hooked up she was seeing someone else and she told him he was the father , so they got married and he signed the BC . he had his doubts but still signed the BC, Now she calls me and tells me they did a paternity test and he is not the father. so she tells me i might be the father but not to worry that the current husband will take care of her as his own . What should i do , i dont want any part of this mess, but in the long run if i am the father , can she come after me for child support? or is there a time limit that she can come after me for a paternity test ? please help , regretfull

Default Re: Can I Still Be Liable for Child Support if Im Not on the B.C

What should i do , i dont want any part of this mess, but in the long run if i am the father , can she come after me for child support?
    It's a little late to not want any part of this "mess" of your own making. You were a willing participant in the one night stand, obviously did not take any precautions, and now you have some obligations to meet.

Your fling may pursue paternity testing and child support until the child reaches the age of 18. If it is established via DNA testing that you are the father, the court WILL compel you to pay child support for this child you helped create.

Understand, child support is not about you and it's not about the mother. It is about an innocent party - the child - who has the right to support from BOTH of his parents.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

So it does not matter if the other guy signed the BC and is now bonding with the child. i thought in california they have two years to establish paternity when the couple is married ?

You don't have to pay child support unless and until you are legally declared the child's father.

1. Sponsored Links