Default Utility Company Damaged My Personal Property

My question involves small claims court in the state of: Pennsylvania

I am in the process of installing a fence around my yard. I came home from work one day to find a local utility company in my yard with two sections of fence ripped out and a large hole dug. They claimed I hit their phone line and I would have to pay them for damages. Before beginning digging, I contacted the state one call as requried by law; utilities came and marked their lines and the phone company missed this line.

I stated to utility that I have pictures showing no marks, which I printed and provided to them. I fullfiled all legal requirement of underground utility act as needed. They changed their tune and said I wouldn't have to pay, but to seek reiumbersment from them, I would need to produce receipts for materials, labor etc. I have extra material, so no receipts and am doing the work myself, so no labor. He offered to send me a sub-contractor to assit in making the repairs if I supply the materials.

I will be out several hundred dollars in materials and time off work to repair. This is a large national phone company - is it worth my time and effort to file a claim against them in court? Or, should I try and file a claim directly with the company first? Any other hints or suggestions? Thanks.

Default Re: PA - Utility Company Damage My Personal Property

They offered to pay and provide you with help.

What more do you think you would achieve in court?

No, they have only offered help, which I will need to take a day off work to supervise and direct. They won't pay for the materials, which I don't feel I should be responsible for as I hit the line through no fault on my part.

You can't "have your cake and eat it too". (A silly expression, if you ask me, because of course you can eat your own cake, but I digress....)

You can accept their settlement and work with them. Or you can sue, expect them to have a lawyer on their side, see if you win in court, see if your recovery (if any) is as much as they're presently offering.... And no, if you're wondering, you don't get compensated for time you spend in court.

It's up to you.

1. Sponsored Links