Default Can the Grandmother Take This Child

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Arkansas

My fiance's cousin is an 18 year old single parent who recently moved out of her mother's house and in with her boyfriend, and the couple are planning on getting engaged soon. Her mother is upset that Misty moved out with the baby. Misty's mother wanted to adopt the baby out from under Misty when they found out she was pregnant, but Misty wouldn't have it. Her mother often acted like she was the mother of the baby, not Misty, even stating thing such as "my baby" and "my daughter." For the longest time, alot of people thought the grandmother was the mother because she led people on to believe that. She is so mad that Misty moved out that she has hunted down the baby's biological father and is trying to talk him into signing his rights over to her. The father did sign acknowledgment of paternity papers and took a dna test, so he is the legal, biological father. But he doesn't pay child support or come and see the baby, and I know that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, but he is an absentee father. Can he sign his rights over to the grandmother like that? See, the grandmother is trying to get custody of the baby, she wants nothing to do with Misty, she only wants the baby. And Misty is trying to get the father to sign his rights over so that her fiance can adopt the baby when they get married. Misty is not an unfit parent, she is a great mom. What are the chances that her mother can take the baby away? The grandmother is a convicted felon, so there is not way she can take the baby, right? If Misty gets emancipated from her mother, can that sever any legal ties that the grandmother has of Misty and the baby? What are the odds that the grandmother can take the baby? I think the grandmother needs to go get pregnant herself and quit trying to find ways to steal Misty's baby. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Can the Grandmother Take This Child

The grandmother is a convicted felon, so there is not way she can take the baby, right?
    Being a convicted felon puts a burden on finding a decent paying job, but there are thousands of convicted felons who are parents. Having a clean record isn't a requirement to being a parent.
    If Misty gets emancipated from her mother, can that sever any legal ties that the grandmother has of Misty and the baby?
    Misty is 18 and doesn't need emancipated. She's a free, tax paying adult who can do what she wants with her child. She lives with her boyfriend so she should be aware of this. There are no "legal ties" to her mother. She can also keep her child away from her crazy mother, if she chooses to.
    What are the odds that the grandmother can take the baby?
    Slim to none as long as Misty doesn't give her custody of her baby or the court takes custody away (and you said Misty was a great mom).

If you let this apparently crazy person in your lifes, your asking for drama. The less thats spoke of her the better, move on.

Thank you. Yes the grandmother is a crazy woman but she is only a cousin to my fiance so I won't be dealing with her much. I didn't like her when I met her the first time and she always calls me by my fiance's exes name. But thank you for all your help, I just wanted to make sure there was no way she could take Misty's baby because she was trying to get the father to sign his rights over. I also just heard that a convicted felon cannot adopt in Arkansas, so I guess we're good on that one too.

I also just heard that a convicted felon cannot adopt in Arkansas, so I guess we're good on that one too.
    Gaining custody of a child is very different from adopting a child. The child is not a piece of property to be signed over to the highest bidder. Worry about the what if's as they come along. Tell your fiance that it's time to cut a limb off the family tree.

Lol! Yeah, he says he doesn't see her as family anymore.

Quote Quoting ShannaBee
    View Post
    Lol! Yeah, he says he doesn't see her as family anymore.
    What you are desribing is the typical grandparent rights person. They typically have an inappropriate fixation on a child and their goal is to take the child away from the usually fit, single, custodial parent. It happens overwhelmingly in cases of a deceased parent. The in-laws feel that the "wrong" parent died and they are resentful of the surviving parent, so they disrespect the surviving parent, then slap them with a lawsuit at a time when the family needs genuine love and support.

Check with a lawyer, but an absentee parent cannot "sign over" their parental rights to a nonparent without the other parent's consent. Parental rights are not a commodity that one can trade or transfer. Think of the mess we would be in if anyone could do that. However, grandparents pushing for grandparent rights want just that. It is selfish and extremely dangerous.

Thank you so much.

1. Sponsored Links