Exclamation 19, On Bond, Kicked Out and Living on the Street

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Indiana

I just bonded out my 19 yr old son on possession of stolen property. I live out of state and just found out that he can't stay at the home he was previously at before going to jail. His friend kicked him out, & he has no where to go. Now he is homeless in Hamilton Co. and out on bond. He can't come here since I am out of state and I am scared to death..he is living on the street and has no money, no food and no shelter. He is hiding in a public building at night to sleep. PLEASE, OMG what can I DO?????????????????

Default Re: 19, On Bond, Kicked Out and Living on the Street

The legal answer is as little or as much as you want.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    The legal answer is as little or as much as you want.

So what can I do to help him?????????????

Ma'am...

We are not a humanitarian site.

We help people with legal issues.

Your son has legal issues, but you aren't asking about those. You are asking us what you should do.

We cannot and should not answer that question. We are simply not qualified family therapists.

Send him some money? Whip out your credit card and pay for a hotel room - which you can probably do online? Get him an authorized user card on one of your accounts do he can buy food or better yet, send him some gift certificate type cards so he doesn't end up ruining your credit? Make some calls and direct him to his local homeless shelter? Get on the internet or the phone and help him find a crimainal defense attorney (although he probably qualifies for a public defender)? As Cyjeff pointed out, what you can do for him is only limited by how much of your time and resources you are willing to part with. Beyond providing support for a place to stay and access to food and legal representation, he's 19 now - so any other type of teaching or personality development or choice of friends and similar matters are long out of your hands.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    Ma'am...

We are not a humanitarian site.

We help people with legal issues.

Your son has legal issues, but you aren't asking about those. You are asking us what you should do.

We cannot and should not answer that question. We are simply not qualified family therapists.

I'm not asking for therapy. I'm asking for what LEGAL help I can offer.
    I just got this call from him at a business center where he could use the phone. He has a public defender and I plan to call him tomorrow and ask what can be done. I live 1200 miles away but could still get him here so he would have food and shelter, but with a bond he is required not to leave the state. I am not a rich woman, i don't have resources to pay for hotels. I wish I could. I just wonder if it is better for him to be picked up and go back to jail, at least he would have food and shelter.
    Question...and yes, it is of a legal matter...when someone is bonded out and then doesn't have a place to stay and is on the street, isn't that a violation of bond?
    I am still a mother and I love my son no matter what his age. I don't want to do anything against the law to help him. Flying him here would be illegal I am sure. But is there a chance the court would let him leave the state until his court date? He is not on probation.

Until you are able to see if you can have him leave the state you should contact these two areas.

http://www.in211.org/

This is for the Light house mission in Indiana which is a shelter for men.
    Phone number: 812.232.7001
    http://www.thlhm.org/about/programs/...d_Services.htm

Quote Quoting FlyinHawk®
    View Post
    Until you are able to see if you can have him leave the state you should contact these two areas.

http://www.in211.org/

This is for the Light house mission in Indiana which is a shelter for men.
    Phone number: 812.232.7001
    http://www.thlhm.org/about/programs/...d_Services.htm
    Thank you so much FlyinHawk, you have been so helpful. He is going to try to call me tomorrow and I am going to tell him about 211. Thank you, it is a start. You have helped a worried scared mother and given me a little hope of him getting help.

1. Sponsored Links