Default Can Reconstructed Title Be Insured

My question involves insurance law for the state of: USA

In Florida, the DMV will rebrand a reconstructed (car) title as salvage, not many, if any, insurers will then touch it. There must be states and insurers where you can get a clean title and insurance. Car is in Georgia, I am a GA resident, moving to FL.

Q. Is it the car history or type of title that creates the denial of the insurer?

Default Re: Can Reconstructed Title Be Insured

if you are willing to pay enough money, there is an insurer that will pick it up.
    Lloyd's of London comes to mind. It seems they will insure anything for the right price.

and no, you cannot get a clean title in a salvaged vehicle. It helps prevent fraud when reselling it.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    no, you cannot get a clean title in a salvaged vehicle. It helps prevent fraud when reselling it.
    Thanks, jk, what value is there in a state inspection by DMV if not to take a salvaged auto to a reconstructed, clean title?

Quote Quoting woojer
    View Post
    Thanks, jk, what value is there in a state inspection by DMV if not to take a salvaged auto to a reconstructed, clean title?
    because it will always be a salvaged vehicle and listing it as such is proper. I do not see how you believe a simple inspection, of whatever manner the DMV may perform, to be enough to consider the vehicle anything other than a salvaged vehicle, which it is. It may be reconstructed but it is still a salvaged vehicle. You can't change that.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    because it will always be a salvaged vehicle and listing it as such is proper. I do not see how you believe a simple inspection, of whatever manner the DMV may perform, to be enough to consider the vehicle anything other than a salvaged vehicle, which it is. It may be reconstructed but it is still a salvaged vehicle. You can't change that.
    Not all salvaged vehicles have heavy damaged jk, several are better than new literraly after reconstruction. Lotus Elsie comes to mind. Remember, salvage has nothing to do with damage, everything with the cost to rebuild (insurance companies make those determinations).

Quote Quoting woojer
    View Post
    Not all salvaged vehicles have heavy damaged jk, several are better than new literraly after reconstruction. Lotus Elsie comes to mind. Remember, salvage has nothing to do with damage, everything with the cost to rebuild (insurance companies make those determinations).
    they have to draw the line somewhere and the $$$ rules. Anything less would allow a subjective determination.

If you want to argue the point with them, I would suggest hiring an engineer that is willing to put his stamp on his review of the vehicle stating that the vehicle will surpass all safety requirements and operating conditions of a new vehicle. Even with that, I doubt success. Without it, you have to live within the rules.

Obviously you aren't going to find an engineer willing to do this and doing so would cost more than a new vehicle but hey, it;'s worth a shot.

Florida like most states, getting a salvage off the title, well doing that in most cases is illegal. And I will not teach washing title 101 on the net.

But insurance companies are fairly nice with insuring a car that has been rebuilt. More familiar with my state, but most are simular, so I'll use it as an example:

If a Certificate of Ownership (title) is being reissued on the car, it may be branded as “WA REBUILT” if:

Your vehicle is 5 years old or newer.
    OR
    Your vehicle meets the “market value threshold” criteria.
    Even if your car gets branded "rebuilt", it will scare potential buyer's, but some reasons a car gets written off "salvaged", does not mean it was really wrecked. Insurance companies will still insure when the state will allow a car back on the road. Until you get a "new" title you cannot register or insure a salvage vehicle. Most DMV's issue temp trip permits, WA has a 3 day. You fix damage. Get trip permit and take to state patrol inspection center. You need to provide receipts for repairs and the inspector makes sure your salvage is road worthy.

DMV than decides if the car is to be branded or not. The salvage will always be in the history. I've purchased a few cars at an insurance auction. 1993 Corrado VR6, missing sunroof (stolen) and radio, dash damage (from stereo being ripped out) that had a salvage title and rebuilt it. Got state patrol inspection and they branded it WA rebuilt. Zero mechanical or safety issue's. So salvage can mean anything.................... Id check with both states DMV's and see which one is easier to get a new road worthy title status.

1. Sponsored Links