Default Changing My Son's Last Name in Texas

My question involves name change laws in the State of: Texas

I just found out that I have a son. we just took a paternity test and I am his father. he currently has his mothers maiden name and i want to change his last name to mine. but i dont think she wants to, because of personel issues. what is my right as a father? if i would of known about him i would of been there for him along time ago but people in her family lied and told me that she had a abortion so i joined the army and went on with my life.

can i change his name without her permission?

can i be added to the birth certificate?

Default Re: Changing My Sons Last Name in Texas

Quote Quoting sgtromo
    View Post
    My question involves name change laws in the State of: Texas

I just found out that I have a son. we just took a paternity test and I am his father. he currently has his mothers maiden name and i want to change his last name to mine. but i dont think she wants to, because of personel issues. what is my right as a father? if i would of known about him i would of been there for him along time ago but people in her family lied and told me that she had a abortion so i joined the army and went on with my life.

can i change his name without her permission?

can i be added to the birth certificate?
    No, you cannot change the name without mom's permission, or a court order.

How old is the child?

Was the paternity test court ordered?
    In other words, have you been, or are you in the process of being legally established as the father?

the child will be 9 in january

the paternity test was not court ordered, i ordered it and it is legalized for court use

and yes i plan to become reconized as the legal father

i just dont know were to begain!

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Begin with a paternity suit at the courthouse where the child lives. You'll need to legally establish paternity. Whether or not the court will accept the paternity test results you have is up to the court. You may need to take another one.

After paternity is established, you may petition to have the child's last name changed, but with the child being 9, you may want to be open to having a hyphenated last name.
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

now the mother is saying shes doesnt want to go to court, she dosnt want me to add him on my insurance.

i am really concerned i could get introuble by the government. should i go ahead and get a lawyer??? i am just afraid about the back child support i really dont know why she waited this long to contact me, i wouldnt be in this situation. but im not going to leave my son hanging.

what type of laywer should i get and do some laywers offer payment plans.
    i really dont think i could afford right off the bat?

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Contact the AG's office and open a support case. They will arrange for child support, medical support and even set up standard visitation per TX guidelines.

ABSOLUTELY LET THE COURTS INTERVENE. The courts protect everyone involved, you, mom and the child. Everyone knows what is expected of them, there are no questions, you have an order specifying when you can visit with your child, how much you are obligated to pay in support, etc. Keeps everything clean. If she doesn't want you to go through the courts, there's a reason for it that need not concern you. You need to protect yourself and your interest in your child. Let her deal with her own issues.

Until you get things solidified in writing (by the courts) pay her NOTHING. Do yourself a favor now and don't come to any side agreements.

Good luck and congrats on the new found child.
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

thanks for the reply,

what about back child support? im not sure what to expect and i need to be able to brace myself and my wife. how would the judge decide or would he go based off the current situation? im really scared for everybody that this is going to inolve.

1. Sponsored Links