Default Giving Out False Identification to a Police Officer

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Arizona

Recently i was given a citation for a open container of alcohol in a vehicle that was not moving. When the officer asked me for my identification I reached into my center console and unknowingly pulled out the ID of a friend which I had been with earlier in the night. He is over 21 and I am not which is why I am assuming that I did not get a minor in possesion of alcohol. The officer asked me if the address was correct on the ID I responded "no" becasue on my personal ID the address is still my last residence so, not thinking anything of it I gave the officer my current real address. I did not notice the mistake until the officer had made me sign the citation and left. In addition to the open container charges that I am facing, will I now be cited for giving out false information to a police officer and possibly minor in possesion? What are the penalties for these charges? What is my best possible course of action?

Default Re: Giving Out False Identification to a Police Officer

When he asked about your address....you stated that on your currnet ID your recent address was on it so why would tell him "no, that is not my current address" unless you KNEW it was NOT your ID? Had you also moved since your last ID was issued and didn't have your current address on YOUR ID..or did I read it wrong??? It's the "unkowingly" part that concerns me.

Quote Quoting captain13
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Arizona

Recently i was given a citation for a open container of alcohol in a vehicle that was not moving.
    Very few citations are given to vehicles while in motion.

When the officer asked me for my identification I reached into my center console and unknowingly pulled out the ID of a friend which I had been with earlier in the night. He is over 21 and I am not which is why I am assuming that I did not get a minor in possesion of alcohol.
    I agree with that assumption.

The officer asked me if the address was correct on the ID I responded "no" becasue on my personal ID the address is still my last residence so, not thinking anything of it I gave the officer my current real address. I did not notice the mistake until the officer had made me sign the citation and left.
    so why didn't you tell the cop he had the wrong person at that point?

In addition to the open container charges that I am facing,
    You mean, in addition to the open container charge you just gave to the guy on the id, right?

will I now be cited for giving out false information to a police officer and possibly minor in possesion? What are the penalties for these charges? What is my best possible course of action?
    Of course you will.

Your best possible course of action is to obtain legal counsel, say that you stole the id, and admit to it not being that person's charge.

Your second best possible course of action is to obtain legal counsel, say that you borrowed the id and admit to it not being that person.

Both courses of action will have you admitting to minor in possession, possession of false id, and providing false information to a police officer. The only difference is that the idiot that loaned you his id won't face charges in the first.

The officer asked me if the address on the ID was correct I was under the assumption that she had my ID. She never stated the address out loud, so I was still under the assumption that she had the right ID, the address on my real ID is not current so I then gave her my current real address.

Quote Quoting captain13
    View Post
    The officer asked me if the address on the ID was correct I was under the assumption that she had my ID. She never stated the address out loud, so I was still under the assumption that she had the right ID, the address on my real ID is not current so I then gave her my current real address.
    Which only holds up until you were holding the ticket in your hand and signed it.

At that point, you lied, you know you lied and you did it anyway.

THAT would have been the moment to avoid further prosecution. Alas, that moment has passed.

are the possesion of false identification, and providing false information to a police officer misdemeanor charges or are they felony charges?

Quote Quoting captain13
    View Post
    are the possesion of false identification, and providing false information to a police officer misdemeanor charges or are they felony charges?
    That all depends on what your intentions were, and in which context you used the false ID/statement.

Your lawyer should be able to address those questions.

By the way, you may want to call the person that you threw under the bus so that he can be prepared for the PITA this will be for him.

1. Sponsored Links