Question Inadequate Legal Representation

My son entered into a plea agreement on 9/11/06 for Delivery of a Controlled Substance That Resulted in a Death. He pled guilty in the 5th Circuit, Texas Eastern Distict Court, in Sherman, Texas. His court appointed attorney told us from the start that my son should try to make a plea deal or he would spend 20 years to life in federal prison. I presented documents to the attorney proving my son could not have been where the prosecutor said he was at critcal times, time lines of my sons' activities, etc. He immediately went into an adjoining office and called the prosecutor, informing her of everything I had and everything my son and I were trying to do to defend my son. He came back and told mus that if my son did not take the plea deal, the prosecutor would offer it to one of his co defendants and my son would get the afore mentioned 20 to life. During all of the wheeling and dealing over 6 months and several meetings with the court appointed attorney, we never once got to see, let alone read, the discovery file, which the court appointed kept on his lap, guarding it like a dog guarding a bone. Every defense we offered was quickly shot down with an added reminder of the 20 to life. After my son was in federal prison, I received a copy of the discovery. If we would have been allowed to examine the discovery before my son pled guilty, he would have taken his chances in court. The court appointed had embelished on the prosecutions' case. He flat out lied in some instances! Itried to find another attorney through several venues to no avail. Now I am told the appeal time has come and gone and my son has no recourse but to serve hi 15 year sentence. If I could have afforded a good attorney, my son would be a free man today. Is there anything left for us to do?

Default Re: Inadequate Legal Representation

If your appeals are exhausted or expired, there isn't a lot TO do.

To give yourself piece of mind, contact the Innocence Project. This is a team of very talented lawyers that, sometimes, takes on the case of the innocent man.

VERY talented lawyers.... including Barry Scheck, John Grisham and Janet Reno.

There is no guarantee they will help you. They typically only intercede on projects where DNA testing can prove innocence.

Here are the Texas Chapters....

Texas Innocence Network
    100 Law Center
    Houston, TX 77204-6060

Texas Center for Actual Innocence
    University of Texas School of Law
    727 East Dean Keeton Street
    Austin, TX 78705

Innocence Project of Texas
    1511 Texas Avenue
    Lubbock, TX 79401
    Wesleyan Innocence Project
    1515 Commerce St.
    Fort Worth, TX 76102

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    If your appeals are exhausted or expired, there isn't a lot TO do.

To give yourself piece of mind, contact the Innocence Project. This is a team of very talented lawyers that, sometimes, takes on the case of the innocent man.

VERY talented lawyers.... including Barry Scheck, John Grisham and Janet Reno.

There is no guarantee they will help you. They typically only intercede on projects where DNA testing can prove innocence.

Here are the Texas Chapters....

Texas Innocence Network
    100 Law Center
    Houston, TX 77204-6060

Texas Center for Actual Innocence
    University of Texas School of Law
    727 East Dean Keeton Street
    Austin, TX 78705

Innocence Project of Texas
    1511 Texas Avenue
    Lubbock, TX 79401
    Wesleyan Innocence Project
    1515 Commerce St.
    Fort Worth, TX 76102
    Been there, done that. They only take cases when the prisoner is on death row. Any chance of a Petition of Post Conviction Relief?

The Innocence Project did want me to contribute but to their organization but they said they could not help my son. There has to be something we can do. With all the stupid laws in this country, there has to be one that can help my son.

1. Sponsored Links