Default Discrimination or Favoritism at Work

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: NYC

I'm having a problem at work for over a year now ever since a new employee got hired. Now this new guy has been absent from work constantly, I mean a lot, and our supervisor or anyone else said anything to the new employee. Not until we noticed that enough was enough, so 2 other co-workers and myself talked to our supervisor, and he just told the new employee to stop. Like a slap at the wrist. Another thing is that he's also got more pay than anyone else at work, don't know why because as me and the other 2 co-workers were told, the new starting salary was not even close to what he is getting paid, but yet the new guy got more salary even though we've been there longer and have more experience then the new employee. Now this guy gets there late EVERY day at least a hr late but nothing is said to him, not one word. He's only been there for 1 yr but he's gotten already 2 vacations, 1st one was paid partially but not sure of this last one cause he's currently on vacation. One of our group leaders left the company because they was planning on firing him (from word of mouth) so he left. But all three of us knows that we are being treated unequally to this new kid. (yup, he is still a kid..just turned 21) Now our supervisor says to us not to be late, etc and etc the basics about work, but the new employee is being told absolutely nothing. Just wanted your opinion on what can I do about this situation about me and the other co-worker being treated unequally. The new employee is Jewish and me and the co-worker are Hispanics. From what I was told by the new employee, he found that job threw his fathers friend within the company. I'm thinking he has higher ups to help him do what ever he wants, cause that's what he does anyway. Please help with this....

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Discrimination And/or Favoritism

There is no law that forbids favortism. Now your assumption of race discrimnation is just that assumptions.

Default Re: Discrimination or Favoritism at Work

All employees do not have to be treated the same though it may be unfair. It would only be illegal to do so (illegal discrimination) if the reason was based on a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender). You would have to prove that you & your co-workers were being discriminated against due to your being Hispanic if that is the reason you are assuming for the difference in treatment.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

well, i just found out proof that my supervisor and co-workers are keeping me out side of the job circle. Everything is being said and trained in important matters to one another except me. And now, every one that's associated w/ them, don't say good morning, hi, bye etc. I really don't care about that, but it just shows how professional they are at my work space. It really makes me feel uncomfortable every time i step foot at work. I just feel really frustrated because I never did anything to deserve this type of treatment. And I've noticed that they were trying to fire me, but since I do my work, theirs really no reason for them to even act upon that.

It really makes me feel uncomfortable every time i step foot at work.
    Uncomfortable AND unprofessional, yes, but against the law, no.

I just feel really frustrated because I never did anything to deserve this type of treatment. And I've noticed that they were trying to fire me, but since I do my work, theirs really no reason for them to even act upon that.
    They don't need a reason to fire you, just so you know.

Based just on your post, nothing illegal being done.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

1. Sponsored Links