Default Warrant for Failing to Pay Child Support

My question involves child support in the State of: Virginia

Got a warrant for me in another state, its been 2 years. Was for failing to pay child support. I lost my job. I've since got a new job. Since March of 08 i've been paying but am still behind. I dont want to turn myself in because i'll get locked up and lose my job and that will put be back at square one. Since march of 08 i've paid off $3000 of the money I owe. I still owe quite a bit around $13,000. But im doing good and i've been paying about $350-$400 a month. What do I do? I really want to get this taken care of but its not worth losing my job over. I mean paying off $3000 is good but im still far behind and if I turned myself in and told them that i've paid off $3000 but still owe $13,000 im pretty sure the Judge will lock me up because of the amount I still owe regardless of what i've been paying. I've been sending money every 2 weeks since March of 08 and have not skipped anytime in between. Its been there exactly every 2 weeks. Do I just keep avoiding the warrant till I get caught up more?

Thanks

Default Re: Warrant for Failing to Pay Child Support

Quote Quoting Izzdan
    View Post
    My question involves child support in the State of: Virginia

Got a warrant for me in another state, its been 2 years. Was for failing to pay child support. I lost my job. I've since got a new job. Since March of 08 i've been paying but am still behind. I dont want to turn myself in because i'll get locked up and lose my job and that will put be back at square one. Since march of 08 i've paid off $3000 of the money I owe. I still owe quite a bit around $13,000. But im doing good and i've been paying about $350-$400 a month. What do I do? I really want to get this taken care of but its not worth losing my job over. I mean paying off $3000 is good but im still far behind and if I turned myself in and told them that i've paid off $3000 but still owe $13,000 im pretty sure the Judge will lock me up because of the amount I still owe regardless of what i've been paying. I've been sending money every 2 weeks since March of 08 and have not skipped anytime in between. Its been there exactly every 2 weeks. Do I just keep avoiding the warrant till I get caught up more?

Thanks
    You need to contact the CSE agency and get this taken care of ASAP. Since you are making regular payments, it's possible that you won't go to jail. The CSE can help you set up an agreement to pay your current support plus an additional amount toward the arrears.

who is CSE? im not to familuar with what they do

Quote Quoting Izzdan
    View Post
    who is CSE? im not to familuar with what they do
    CSE is the state child support enforcement agency.

Do you pay ex directly, or do you send your payments to a state disbursement unit?

If you pay through the state, most likely the CSE is enforceing your case. They are the agency you need to contact.

If you pay ex directly, the CSE is not enforcing your case. In that situation, you'll have to contact the court and ex to have the warrant taken care of.

Ok, yeah sorry ...yeah I pay through the state, well actually I get garnished every 2 weeks. So I need to contact them and hope they're willin' to work with me? If im here in Texas and the case is in Virginia ..do you think that they're going to want me to show up 1500 miles away? Or would they do all that in court on their own (if they decide to drop things) im just curious.

Thanks for the help

Quote Quoting Izzdan
    View Post
    Ok, yeah sorry ...yeah I pay through the state, well actually I get garnished every 2 weeks. So I need to contact them and hope they're willin' to work with me? If im here in Texas and the case is in Virginia ..do you think that they're going to want me to show up 1500 miles away? Or would they do all that in court on their own (if they decide to drop things) im just curious.

Thanks for the help
    No one here can really give an accuarte answer to your question. The only way to find out what the CSE is willing to do will be by contacting them. Since you've been consitantly paying for awhile, they will be much more likely to work with you. Call them and find out.

1. Sponsored Links