Default How to Get Married at 17

My question involves marriage law for the State of: Ohio
    Hi I am a new granny, my son just turned 18 in October and his girlfriend of 17 just had my grandson in Nov. We are up in arms as to how to handle her father who thinks he can dictate when and where my son can see his. Or if the mother can leave him at our home, we are trying to find a way for them to get married so she can get away from this sick twisted man there is alot more to him then meets the eye. My son works a full time job and goes to school he takes care of them why not let them be a family where they need to be. Please help

Default Re: How to Get Married at 17

Quote Quoting granny1
    View Post
    My question involves marriage law for the State of: Ohio
    Hi I am a new granny, my son just turned 18 in October and his girlfriend of 17 just had my grandson in Nov. We are up in arms as to how to handle her father who thinks he can dictate when and where my son can see his. Or if the mother can leave him at our home, we are trying to find a way for them to get married so she can get away from this sick twisted man there is alot more to him then meets the eye. My son works a full time job and goes to school he takes care of them why not let them be a family where they need to be. Please help
    First, since the mother in question is a minor, she IS under the legal authority of her father/parents until she hits the age of majority in Ohio at 18. A marriage license cannot be obtained for a minor in Ohio without parental consent. What her parents say goes. The father having whatever issues doesn't impact what the law says about his authority over his MINOR child and ability to deny his daughter marriage.

Second, since this birth occurred to parents who weren't married, your son doesn't even have a legal dog IN this fight until he is legally established as the father. He will need to establish paternity and then he can seek visitation or even custody.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

She cannot get married without parental permission, permission from the court, or both, depending on what part of Ohio you live in.

Until she is 18, she is under the care and control of HER parents.

If your son wants to have a hand in the care of his son prior to his girlfriend reaching the age of legal majority, he needs to establish paternity first.

Did he sign an Affidavit of Paternity when the child was born so he could be named on the birth certificate? If so, he has legally established paternity. If not, he needs to take steps to do that.

Once paternity is legally established, he will have to petition the courts for visitation and/or joint custody.

More info is here.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links