Default Can the State Take My Property if I Owe Child Support

My question involves child support in the State of:Michigan
    I am behind in child support payments. A friend of mine parents are willing to sell me a building and two vacant lands for $1.00 each. If I purchase it, can the state take it away from me because I owe child support?

And if they take it away, will they just hold it, or sell it for the value, subtracting what I owe for child support?

Default Re: Can the State Take My Property if I Owe Child Support

Put the property in your mothers, or fathers name. If you can't do that than put it in someone you trust very much. Often times people tend to steal your things once their name is on the paper work. You need to trust the person, and get some paper on the deal between you and the person you use. Child support can put a lean against property, and or force a sale to get back child support. You need to catch up child support. You can go to jail if you don't get it caught up. Just a thought once the property is safe, take out a loan on the property to catch up support, then change property in your name. Just a thought.

GONG - I'm in Michigan and here are some of the remedies as imposed by the state. Trust me, they don't fool around. They even have a special task force set up to track down and jail offenders. If you attempt to 'hide' property to avoid paying, trust me, they'll make it even tougher on you and you stand to lose that, and more.

Lien/Levy

The FOC or State can initiate a lien/levy process against real or personal property, and/or financial assets for collection of child support. It is a two-step process for real or personal property. The one step process for financial assets is done through the State's centralized enforcement process.

License Revocation - Professional licenses, driver's licenses and hunting and fishing licenses can be revoked for non-payment of child support.

Federal and State Tax Refund Offset Program - If an arrearage threshold has been met, both federal and State tax refunds can be intercepted to pay support arrears.

Consumer Credit Reporting - The statewide child support computer system (MiCSES) automatically triggers a report to a consumer credit reporting agency if two months of arrearages exist.

Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO)/Eligible Domestic Relations Order (EDRO) - These are support orders against a pension account for a private company (QDRO) or a State pension plan (EDRO). They can be issued for current support or arrearages.

Let me make what I said last night a little clearer. No way did I mean for you to hide the property, sorry if that's what it sounded like. What I mean by having someone you trust alot, is land, or lots whatever $1.00 per is to good to pass up. Trusting someone not to sell land without the chance for you to purchase it from them, or trading it is what I mean. Get paper on the deal allowing you time to get the land, and pay any costs that the land owner occured while owning it in their name. Think about the situation in hand, how can you make this deal work for you. Can the land be sold, and can you make enough to pay back child support? Can the people helping you out get a loan on property enough for them to get money, and for you to pay back child support? Make the land deal work for you, and the people helping you. Child support is a important, they will do anything to get their money, Jail, garnishments, taking propety you own, e.c.t. Catch it up soon. Again sorry for not making my self clearer.

Quote Quoting hurt neck
    View Post
    Let me make what I said last night a little clearer. No way did I mean for you to hide the property, sorry if that's what it sounded like. What I mean by having someone you trust alot, is land, or lots whatever $1.00 per is to good to pass up. Trusting someone not to sell land without the chance for you to purchase it from them, or trading it is what I mean. Get paper on the deal allowing you time to get the land, and pay any costs that the land owner occured while owning it in their name. Think about the situation in hand, how can you make this deal work for you. Can the land be sold, and can you make enough to pay back child support? Can the people helping you out get a loan on property enough for them to get money, and for you to pay back child support? Make the land deal work for you, and the people helping you. Child support is a important, they will do anything to get their money, Jail, garnishments, taking propety you own, e.c.t. Catch it up soon. Again sorry for not making my self clearer.
    How is that not intentionally defrauding the mother/child/state?

Here's a thought...
    Sell the property and pay the back child support off. That way you don't have to worry about putting yourself in a situation where your defrauding the mother/state and your own child.

Quote Quoting Guilty Or Not Guilty
    View Post
    My question involves child support in the State of:Michigan
    I am behind in child support payments. A friend of mine parents are willing to sell me a building and two vacant lands for $1.00 each. If I purchase it, can the state take it away from me because I owe child support?

And if they take it away, will they just hold it, or sell it for the value, subtracting what I owe for child support?
    If you the "baby daddy", you needs to pays some child support! They should cut yo food stamps off! You cant hide from the government! They know where you "stays"!!
    The only man that it is ok for another man to love is Jesus.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Quote Quoting gigirle
    View Post
    Here's a thought...
    Sell the property and pay the back child support off. That way you don't have to worry about putting yourself in a situation where your defrauding the mother/state and your own child.
    An additional benefit for the OP would be that interest wouldn't continue to grow.
    OP, this really is the very best option for you. Believe me, once you have the arrears paid off you will feel like you have a whole new life, one of freedom from that debt and the problems it causes.

Thanks you everyone for your time.

1. Sponsored Links