Default Background Check After Written Job Offer

My question involves a background check in the State of:

I applied for and received a verbal and written job offer. I knew from the beginning that there would be a background check (criminal), which was fine because I don't have anything on my record. I thought everything was fine after I received a verbal offer and then a written offer of employment. Then I received a packet of information the next day in the mail (after giving my notice at my current job). They need to complete a full background check on me (criminal, driving, credit) and if it came back "unfavorable" they would "recind the offer". I find this very unnerving as they have already offered the job to me. What's going on with this? I am receiving emails from the team that I will be working with and even went in to interview one of the people who will report to me. They are including me on alot of communications. I find this very odd that they would do a complete background check AFTER the offer has been made and accepted. What if they find something (for example, my credit isn't perfect, but it's pretty good, I think) and "recind" the offer? What recourse do I have?? BTW - this is a reputable organization (higher ed).
    Thanks!

Default Re: Background Check AFTER Written Job Offer

Most of the time a written job offer will be given and a small sentence will say something like "contingent on a background check".

If you don't have anything on your record why are you concerned?

Default Re: Background Check After Written Job Offer

I'm not worried about the criminal or the driving record, but the credit check is worrisome because I don't know what they are looking for (nor did I know that they were going to do that) Had I known they were going to do it, I would have pulled my credit report before I applied to make sure everything was accurate. I guess this piece is what scares me the most. If there is something inaccurate or just not favorable, I have no recourse and the offer will be recinded. Is this how it works?

I'm just wondering why they did this AFTER the job was offered (and not before). Also, I want to know what they are looking for (i.e., a specific credit score??)

Quote Quoting spingrl
    View Post
    I'm just wondering why they did this AFTER the job was offered (and not before).
    Why waste the money of running a background check on an applicant that they don't intend on hiring?

Also, I want to know what they are looking for (i.e., a specific credit score??)
    Bankruptcy, credit account delinquencies, basic credit worthiness, etc. Many employers, including mine, do this as a safety measure. If you are in or have filed for bankrutpcy, are in significant debt (varies by company), have numerous delinquent accounts, then they see this as a risk to them as you 'might' be more apt to steal/embezzle from the company to pay your debt.

Many companies do the background ck. & get the background check results after making a "tentative" offer (subject to the background check) on applicants they are planning on hiring.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

I have a similar situation, however I do have a misdemeanor conviction in another state (Washington -- I currently reside in California) that is scheduled to be reversed to a "not guilty" on my record when my probationary period expires in about 5 months.
    The company uses Intelius for background checks. How likely is it that it will show up on the check, and would this typically be a deal-breaker for most companies, or something that could be explained away considering the circumstances?
    (i.e. Wrongfully accused of shoplifting. To avoid spending thousands of $$ and mulitple trips from CA to WA for court dates to fight it, I struck a deal to enter guilty plea, paid small fine, 1 year probation, then decision will be reversed to "not guilty".)

We can't say if it will show up on a background check. It's according to how thorough of a background check they ask the co. they use for checks to do. All background checks are not the same.

Whether an employer will hire you with your history, we can't say either. That will be up to each individual employer to decide.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

OK, thanks.

It seems there's the possibility that this misdemeanor may not show up anyway. A recent background check (through ChoicePoint) by a potential employer included both out-of-state and in-state info, but showed "No Record Found" under "National Criminal File Search", which surprised me. The current company is using Intelius for their screening, so not sure if their results could be similar or not.

I understand every employer is different, so in your opinion, do you think it would be preferable to give them a heads up that it may appear and brief explanation prior to the results coming back, just in case it appears, or wait to see if it does appear, and then address it with them?

Essentially, I don't want to potentially shoot myself in the foot by prematurely drawing attention to something that may not show up anyway.

You need to answer all questions on employment applications & that employers ask you truthfully. If it were me, I would be up front with them - employers do not like surprises.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, in some states employers are not ALLOWED to do background checks until after they have made at least a tentative offer.

1. Sponsored Links