Default Bought a Car from Friend That Had False Tags and Registration, Car Now Impounded

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: california. back in sept. i bought a car from a friend. it was a friend so i didnt trip too much on getting everything right then and there, i have never bought a car myself so i didnt know the law about what was suppose too be done when sold a car, the tags of the car said dec. of 2008. so i figured that in dec i would get with my friend and get the car registered in my name, alll the legal things that had to be done, well nov. 24. 2008 the bakersfield sherrifs dept. pulled me over for expired tags, and false tags. the tags were actually due in feb. of the same year, so they impounded my car. i ended up going to jail for charges other then that. but the car is now sitting there building up charges that i dont fill i should have too pay what are my rights. what should i do, i am out on bail so i dont have a whole lot of time too take care of this, not sure if i am going to go serve any time and would like too have this handled asap. thank you.. bakersfield california

Default Re: Bought a Car from Friend That Had False Tags and Registration, Car Now Impounded

it was a friend so i didnt trip too much on getting everything right then and there, i have never bought a car myself
    So now that your trippin now, what did you get from your friend? Title maybe? Proof that you bought the car? What?
    the tags of the car said dec. of 2008. so i figured that in dec i would get with my friend and get the car registered in my name, alll the legal things that had to be done
    You figured wrong. This is 100% your responsiblity. You should have legally had the title put in your name the minute that you became the owner. For God sake...did you have insurance on the car?
    well nov. 24. 2008 the bakersfield sherrifs dept. pulled me over for expired tags, and false tags. the tags were actually due in feb. of the same year, so they impounded my car.
    He pulled you over for expired tags with tags that read Dec 08? I don't understand but either way, they had to impound your car. Or was it someone elses car bc you didn't transfer the title or insure it?
    i ended up going to jail for charges other then that. but the car is now sitting there building up charges that i dont fill i should have too pay what are my rights
    Pay the charges to get your car out. What you feel doesn't really have legal bearing.
    what should i do, i am out on bail so i dont have a whole lot of time too take care of this, not sure if i am going to go serve any time and would like too have this handled asap
    Get your car out?? We don't know if you have to serve time either, we dont know why you got arrested. Hire an attorney.

Post Re: Bought a Car from Friend That Had False Tags and Registration, Car Now Impounded

well it was a friend of mine and he showed me that everything was current and legal on it up until dec. i only had it for like a month.. i figured i would switch every thing in dec. they ran the tags cuz they were looking for someone in that neighbor hood, they were hiding in bushes and shit, and seen me pull up. just wanted to see if i was who they were looking for. i wasnt but thats when they and i both found out the tags were fraud. they pulled me over like quarter mile away. i guess im guilty of being too trusting

Default Re: Bought a Car from Friend That Had False Tags and Registration, Car Now Impounded

As you were just told, it's your job to promptly transfer the title and register your vehicle. Being "trusting" has nothing to do with it - you didn't follow the law.

1. Sponsored Links