Question What Does "No Action Taken" Mean in a Felony Charge

My question involves criminal records for the state of: Florida

Hi all,

What does "no action taken" mean in a felony charge? How is it different from charges being dropped?

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Default Re: What Does "No Action Taken" Mean in a Felony Charge

Florida - charges dropped (Nolle Prosse): Means that the State dropped the charges against you. There are times when it may be necessary for the Assistant State Attorney to drop the charges prior to the defendant pleading guilty or the case coming to trial.

Florida - No Action: The State decided not to file charges against you. Also known as a "no file" in some parts of the State.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Quote Quoting treedog
    View Post
    My question involves criminal records for the state of: Florida

Hi all,

What does "no action taken" mean in a felony charge? How is it different from charges being dropped?

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Does this means the person was arrested with probable cause, held without bail, then released before the time frame to file a "formal" charge!

OR was the person NOT in custody?

The only thing I could pick up was that there was some type of record of the "crime" (ie police record, other agency records) but that it was decided not to file charges.

It noted that charges dropped (after they were filed) & no action (no charges filed) both could be expunged.

Maybe the poster will come back with additional info re what happened in this case.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Thank you very much for the info.

The person was arrested and charged with three different charges. The first charge was disp: Pretrial Intervention, the second charge was disp: Charges dropped and the third charge disp: No Action taken.

I just did not understand the difference between dropped and no action. I had read somewhere that a charge that was no action taken could be re-opened at a later date, is that true? Or is it permanently closed?

Thanks again!

Quote Quoting treedog
    View Post
    Thank you very much for the info.

The person was arrested and charged with three different charges. The first charge was disp: Pretrial Intervention, the second charge was disp: Charges dropped and the third charge disp: No Action taken.

I just did not understand the difference between dropped and no action. I had read somewhere that a charge that was no action taken could be re-opened at a later date, is that true? Or is it permanently closed?

Thanks again!

I actually don't know if a charge that was "no actioned" can be re-opened. It depends on the rules of court or rules of criminal procedure/case law.

Comparing the 3 as a total dispostive picture, it would seem that a prosecution can be commenced again, yes?

A review of the "actual" court paper on the 3rd charge may indicate more.

That is exactly what we'd like to know. He was under the assumption that all that was over and done with.

This happened about 10 years ago and he was told that everything could be expunged but never got around to actually doing it.

Quote Quoting BOR
    View Post
    I actually don't know if a charge that was "no actioned" can be re-opened. It depends on the rules of court or rules of criminal procedure/case law.

Comparing the 3 as a total dispostive picture, it would seem that a prosecution can be commenced again, yes?

A review of the "actual" court paper on the 3rd charge may indicate more.

I believe a no action can be reopened but only during a certain period of time - I doubt after 10 years but he might ask an attorney & also see about expungement.

Quote Quoting treedog
    View Post
    That is exactly what we'd like to know. He was under the assumption that all that was over and done with.

This happened about 10 years ago and he was told that everything could be expunged but never got around to actually doing it.

I did not know 10 years had gone by, even assuming the statute of limitations is still alive, the state has basically waived it's right to prosecute.

Even a novice defense attorney could get that one dismissed.

I wanted to bump this back up for more feedback. Can a charge with disp of "no action taken" be re-opened or is this the same as charges dropped? Sorry for bumping something so old but I am still looking for a concrete answer. Thanks

1. Sponsored Links