Default Will Employer Find Out About Ankle Bracelet

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California.

Within the nxt few months I will be going onto the ankle bracelet. I hold a reputable and professional job and have only been employed with them about 6 months. Will I have to tell them about my house arrest and the wearing of the GPS monitoring system? I am afraid that if I do, I will lose my job. PLease help. I have a 5 month old baby and have no prior criminal history....but I need ot keep my job!!! I am stressing out over every piece of this house arrest ordeal. If anyone can offer any other help or advice--pleas do so!
    Thanks.

Default Re: Will Employer Find Out About Ankle Bracelet

Please explain your 'house arrest' and how you are required to report to work; are you required to report to the office daily or simply call in? Also, what were you charged with?

If you are required to report daily, in person, and cannot, then that will sound the alarm. Also, if your employer runs periodic background checks on their employees, as does mine, then yes, you stand the chance of losing your job if your background check shows criminal history - but that's not set in stone. Each employer handles these cases differently and no one-size-fits rule covers all.

My upcoming ankle bracelet adventure will still allow me to go to work every day per my work schedule. I am just wondering if I will have to tell my employer or if the authorities will tell my employer that I am on this GPS monitoring system.
    I was charged with stealing $8000 worth of merchandise from my previous employer.

When you applied for this job, were you not asked any criminal history questions? I assume the stealing was the reason you were released from your former employer? Do you know if your current employer did a background check when you first applied for the job or contacted your former employer as a reference?

Or was this something you were charged with after leaving your former employer?

It's according to how thorough of a background check your employer does but if they do periodic checks, it may very well show up. If it does, it will be up to your employer how to handle but you could certainly lose your job.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

I was not charged with it until after I started working my new job. When I applied, I kept looking for a spot on anything that would ask me about any criminal background, but I don't ever remember seeing anything. I didn't fill out an application, just handed in a resume.
    I do not know, or think, that they do random background checks. I asked the department of alterbative sentencing this same question and they said yes my employer would find out becuase I need a letter from my employer stating what I do their and what my hours are so that i can be released for work. Any one know any way around this?

Any one know any way around this?
    It's time for you to have a sit down with your employer and explain the situation before s/he gets a letter from the Department of Corrections asking for your work scheduling information.

No, there isn't a way around it.

Your arrest and conviction are a matter of public record anyway. All it takes it for one person who knows about your arrest to also know your boss and casually mention it. Better that s/he hears it from you.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links