Default 17 YOA daughter wants to move out and live with boyfriend

My daughter will be 17 in 2 1/2 months and plans to move in with her boyfriend and his parents. The parents support this and keep encouraging her when she waivers to move at 17. She has not finished high school and I know in Texas you are responsible for your kids until they are 18 but can't stop them from moving at 17. My husband and I don't get along with the boyfriends parents because they tried to conceal her when she ran away to be with him before. She has a good home here but is comsumed by being with this boy.
    What are my options legally if she doesn't go back to school or gets in to legal trouble since I'm still responsible but can't control her any longer?

Default Daughter Wants to Move Out

What makes you think an unemancipated minor can simply move out of the family home at the age of 17?

Default 17 YOA daughter wants to move out and live with boyfriend

Because at 17 you are a legal adult in the state of Texas. However, your parents are still responsible for your education (truancy issues) and if you destroy something. At 17 the police will take a missing persons report but if they find the child and they refuse to come home they won't make them. Neither can the parent.

Default Re: 17 YOA daughter wants to move out and live with boyfrien

Quote Quoting csmith93
    Because at 17 you are a legal adult in the state of Texas.
    You are not a legal adult in Texas (or any other state) at 17. Speak with a local attorney. Ask him/her if the police refuse to bring your daughter back home if you can get a court order requiring them to do so. Also find out what charges you could possibly request to be brought against this family. For example:

25.06. HARBORING RUNAWAY CHILD.
    (a) A person commits an offense if he knowingly harbors a child and he is criminally negligent about whether the child:
    (1) is younger than 18 years and:
    (2) has escaped from the custody of a peace officer, a
    probation officer, the Texas Youth Council, or a detention facility
    for children, or is voluntarily absent from the child's home
    without the consent of the child's parent or guardian for a
    substantial length of time or without the intent to return

25.04. ENTICING A CHILD.
    (a) A person commits an offense if, with the intent to interfere with the lawful custody of a child younger than 18 years, he knowingly entices, persuades, or takes the child from the custody of the parent or guardian or person standing in the stead of the parent or guardian of such child.

And possibly something along the lines of custodial interference, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, etc.

This family might not be so eager to take your minor daughter in if they can face charges for doing so.

Good luck.

You are confusing the state laws. At 17 a person can be CHARGED with a crime as an ADULT and usually is. They cannot however just do as they please without paerntal consent. You would report the child as a runaway, nit a missing person. It is true that some police departments try to resolve the issue without dragging the child home, especially in cases where they are close to being 18. But, you do have the right to INSIST they bring your child back AND press charges against anyone harboring her.

Default Re: 17 YOA daughter wants to move out and live with boyfriend

No mam your daughter has a right to leave when she is 17 .I've talked to some police departments and they said "they have no right to bring the child home if the child does not want to return and she/he will not get in trouble" And at the age of 17 the police DPT will no longer take a report on a runaway child . And the lagal age to leave without a parents consent is 17.

panther10758 Guest

You best look up those laws and quit listenning to other teens

Look i am the sister of the minor that reposted the thread you keep replying to and i should know what i am saying .....My husband is a cop.

And if he instead were Santa Claus, the significance would be what?

As you indicated in another thread, you are describing a police department's policy. It probably shouldn't be surprising that a police department in a state where the penal code treats everbody as an adult at age 17 has little interest in pursuing 17-year-old runaways. But that has nothing to do with emancipation, and does not change state laws.

1. Sponsored Links