Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    Default How to Change Status from B1/B2 to F1

    Hello everybody,

    I have a 1-year B1/B2 visa which expires on Feb '09. I traveled to the states on march '08 and stayed a few weeks, but now I would like to study there.

    My question is: Once i enter the states, what will be the duration of the I-94 if this is somehow predictable? In heard they give you a 6-month period of stay. Is this true?

    or to say it in another way: what is the time in my disposal to change the status from B1/B2 to F1? Are there chances of failing for any reason even if all papers are ok?

    Thanks in advance


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Toledo, OH

    Default Re: How to Change Status from B1/B2 to F1

    In matters of immigration, nothing is ever a sure thing.

    You should be speaking to an immigration attorney to help you with this.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: How to Change Status from B1/B2 to F1

    I agree with that, or at least an adviser with the college where you intend to enroll.

    It is possible to be given an I-94 expiration date subsequent to the expiration of your B1/B2 visa, but nobody can guarantee that the immigration officer will grant you even an extra day. Whatever happens, you'll be limited in your actions by the expiration date of your I-94.

    There's a high rate of denial for petitions to change status from B1/B2 to F1. There may be factors that make you ineligible to change your status; we aren't in a position to know. You have to file to change your status before your I-94 expires, you must already be accepted into an academic program, and your start date for classes must be within 30 days of the expiration date of your I-94. For information on becoming a student within the United States, read this.

  4. #4

    Default Re: How to Change Status from B1/B2 to F1

    Thanks to all for the reply,

    there is something else i would like to ask you guys:

    can a cousin of mine (us citizen) be my sponsor?
    can a us citizen sponsor more than one person?

    thanks for the suport

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Can an F-1 Student Change Status to Immigrant Status Through Visa Lottery
    By Farhan in forum Permanent Residency and Naturalization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 03:33 PM
  2. H Visas: Change of Status F-1 to H-1b : Out of Status or Not
    By destination in forum Visas for Business, Tourism and Family
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-17-2010, 02:05 PM
  3. Unlawful Presence and Overstay: H1b to F1 Change of Status Denied - I-94 Expired, Out of Status
    By problems101 in forum Immigration Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 12:25 PM
  4. F Visas: Change Of Status - B2 To F1
    By grazielasj in forum Visas for Business, Tourism and Family
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 10:36 AM
  5. J Visas: J1 Status Change
    By B in forum Visas for Business, Tourism and Family
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Forum Sponsor
Find A Lawyer - Free, confidential referrals.
Legal Forms - Buy easy-to-use legal forms.

Untitled Document