Default I Want to Tow My Car Using a Tow Bar

My question involves towing laws for the State of: Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas

Hello everyone!!

Okay, so I am towing my car from Kansas to Texas so I am going through Kansas, Oklahoma, and finally arriving in TX. I would like to know what I am required to have. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have researched extensively on Google but I cannot find any list or any contact numbers for the different states. Again, thank you in advance for any help.

Thoreau

Default Re: I Want to Tow My Car Using a Tow Bar

You need a tow bar, disconnect the drive shaft, some tow chains (safety chains,) and wire the towed vehicle to the towing vehicles lighting system. If the plates on the towed vehicle are expired I would remove them. Everything you need, including where to attach the tow bar will be available at U-haul

Quote Quoting kist
    View Post
    You need a tow bar, disconnect the drive shaft, some tow chains (safety chains,) and wire the towed vehicle to the towing vehicles lighting system. If the plates on the towed vehicle are expired I would remove them. Everything you need, including where to attach the tow bar will be available at U-haul
    Thank you so much! Am I required by law to have license plates, insurance, or anything like that on the car that is being towed?

Quote Quoting Thoreau
    View Post
    Thank you so much! Am I required by law to have license plates, insurance, or anything like that on the car that is being towed?
    You need to contact the DMV in the state you're towing from to the state you're towing to. Each one has their own ordinances/laws regarding vehicle towing. If within the one state, the DMV of that state will let you know what's required.

If traveling across state lines, remember that what's legal in one may not be in another.

You can look here http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm the only big thing which you dodged is the need for remote breaks.

I suggested you remove your plate because an expired plate will draw more attention than no plate at all. But, to the best of my knowledge no plate is required. The towed vehicle will be covered by the towing vehicles insurance.

Thank you very much, kist and M'sta Mikey, you have both been very helpful. I feel a lot better about doing this now. My friend is letting me borrow his towbar so I think I will get the car that I am towing liability insurance just to cover my bases.

Once again, thank you for being so helpful.

1. Sponsored Links