Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Do I Have to Let a 17-Year-Old Runaway Return Home

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Georgia

Have a 17 yr old has ranaway on numerous occasions and I have reported acoordingly.

Now 17 and pregnant by a 20 year old. Constantly in and out of home, turning my home upside down. Recently reported me to DFCS (not 1st - no charges against me). It has come to point where my 8 yr has been questioned by DFCS w/o my permission and now she is upset and confused (did not want her involved in mess).

I would like to know my rights as custodial parent of how I can handle situation of removing her from my home and the questioning of my 8 yr old. DFCS states I have to let her back in after she made the decision to leave.

Default Re: Do I Have to Let a 17-Year-Old Runaway Return Home

If you are her parent or legal guardian you are legally and financially responsible for her until she turns 18.

Furthermore, you can prevent the 20 yr old from coming around your 17 yr old.

DFSC is required to look into all reports of abuse and they have every right to question your other children. If you choose not to comply with DFCS, they CAN remove your children from your care. You are legally responsible for your 17 yr old and you could be in a whole heep of legal trouble by not letting her back in your home. You can legally have her removed by the police if she becomes violent or a danger to herself or others. You just simply call the police. Don't get your hopes up though, after a night in the DH(maybe), she will promptly be returned to you with a court date for you to appear with her. IMHO, you need to figure out a way to cope until she's 18.

Thank you for your responses, I greatly appreciate them, but I have more questions.

Do I tell her to come home or if she decides to stay gone am I obligated to force her to come back?

Will I be penalized for her decision not to come back?

She has recently sent me a text message stating she wants my consent to marry and my response was no. Even though I know the legal age in my state without my consent is 16. If she finds this out and decides to marry, am I no longer responsible?

What measures can I take to prevent the 20 year old from being around her? This person has no job and certainly not educated enough to have a family and can't help himself.

Quote Quoting cjackjess
    View Post
    Thank you for your responses, I greatly appreciate them, but I have more questions.

Do I tell her to come home or if she decides to stay gone am I obligated to force her to come back?

Will I be penalized for her decision not to come back?

She has recently sent me a text message stating she wants my consent to marry and my response was no. Even though I know the legal age in my state without my consent is 16. If she finds this out and decides to marry, am I no longer responsible?

What measures can I take to prevent the 20 year old from being around her? This person has no job and certainly not educated enough to have a family and can't help himself.
    The age of consent law deals with sex, not marriage. To get married as a minor, she requires the consent of her parent(s).

You are still responsible for her until she's 18, or otherwise emancipated. I don't think you'd be penalized for her refusing to come home as long as you make a good effort to effectuate it; call the cops, go looking for her and things like that.

Jonathan, please don't get it confused it's not the pregnancy that bothers me per say, but pregnant one. I would never ask her to do something of that nature.

Pregnant or not, she cannot get married without your consent until she is 18.

Not for the state of Georgia

Quote Quoting cjackjess
    View Post
    Jonathan, please don't get it confused it's not the pregnancy that bothers me per say, but pregnant one. I would never ask her to do something of that nature.
    I don't exactly understand what that means, but my points remain: she's a minor who cannot get married in your state without parental consent. Period.

Quote Quoting cjackjess
    View Post
    Not for the state of Georgia
    Yes, for the state of Georgia. Not only is your consent required, but you have to show up and give it in person.
    The minimum age for marriage is 16 years for males and females with parental consent; after age 18, parental consent is not required). The parent or guardian must appear in person and give consent if the bride or groom is 16 or 17. In 2006, the state legislature eliminated the loophole in state law that allowed couples of any age to get married without parental consent in the case of pregnancy.

http://facstaff.gpc.edu/~wbroadwe/gamarriage.htm
    As for keeping the 20 year old away from her, that's what a restraining order is for.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast