Unhappy Recovering Possessions from an Ex-Boyfriend

My question involves personal property located in the State of: Utah

For the last 6 years I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend. He was mentally abusesive. He used my horses and horse trailer to meet a younger girl when I found out I immediately moved out and took everything that I bought in the house to make it a home. After I found a place to remove my horses he agreed to the list of my possessions with 2 other witnesses. One of the things were a large heavy lean for the horses. I emailed him yesterday and he now states that I have to get a court order to remove the rest of my things including my 2 cats. This is not right. What do I do now? Currently I have lost 30 lbs and am seeing a doctor for my depression. Besides being uprooted I don't know how much I can take. Also he dented my horse trailer when he took it.

Default Re: User Boy

You can try to take local police with you and let them do a standby while you attempt to collect your belongings. However, if the ex is adamant about it not happening (he doesn't HAVE to cooperate or allow you in to get your stuff or cats), the police will tell you that it's a civil matter followed by the same thing your ex said: to get the courts involved. Then you take him to court for an order for the return of the items and financial compensation for the damage to the trailer.

Just like married people have to go through the courts to divorce and separate assets and liabilities, you'll have to go through a civil court process.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

Default Re: Recovering Possessions from an Ex-Boyfriend

How do I file a court order to retrieve the things? What should I bring to court? Do I need witnesses? There was no rental agreement as he always told me that it was always his house never mine. I bought other things to help him out. I feel like I pulled my own weight. I was basically a housewife without the papers. Can he counter-sue me for back rent when I was not required to pay? Both of us have good jobs but where I am trying to buy my friends place I certainly don't want him to win in court.

1. Sponsored Links