Default First Visit with a Probation Officer

My question involves criminal law for the state of: New York

I was arrested with a DUI in NYS with nobody hurt and was sentenced on Oct 31st to three years probation. My first visit will be Wed Nov 5th and I dont know what to expect. I have never been arrested in 49 years and yea I have not had a single drink since june.

But now here is the kicker- I had smoked a joint with my bud about 2 1/2 weeks ago for the first time in months then I find out that I will get tested and Im not sure what I should do. Do I come clean or hope for the best and also what could happen????

Default Re: First Visit with a Probation Officer

Quote Quoting skipjack
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: New York

I was arrested with a DUI in NYS with nobody hurt and was sentenced on Oct 31st to three years probation. My first visit will be Wed Nov 5th and I dont know what to expect. I have never been arrested in 49 years and yea I have not had a single drink since june.

But now here is the kicker- I had smoked a joint with my bud about 2 1/2 weeks ago for the first time in months then I find out that I will get tested and Im not sure what I should do. Do I come clean or hope for the best and also what could happen????
    There is a possibility that if you drop dirty that you will have your probation revoked and get to go to prison.

Don't mention it until the test comes back...

This could really be bad then. I wonder if anyone on the board knows if they will drug screen me on my very first visit. I would think they would but I just dont know.

Thanks for your reply.

The only person who knows whether he plans to test you is your probation officer.

Talk to your criminal defense lawyer.

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    The only person who knows whether he plans to test you is your probation officer.

Talk to your criminal defense lawyer.

I left a message with my lawyer and thanks for the advice. Everyone should read these boards before they ever get behind the wheel of a car again after having some drinks because this is truly a life changer.

I'm just glad nobody got hurt due to my stupid lack of judgement.

between here and there, but you can't here from there

Most PO's will test people on the first visit so they have a better idea of who they are dealing with and measure odds of the person re-offending. I have only known a few people being violated on first visits, but some have.

Most of the time, it is explained that the person is in violation due to testing dirty and they are warned that if it happens again, they will be violated and sent back.

One guy I know tested dirty, was warned and sent to "drug court". He tested dirty again and spent the following four years in prison. Got out, and within a month, tested dirty again and is still in prison today serving a 12 year term without parole.

Some folks refuse to learn, I suppose.

Well met the probation officer today and thank god he didnt drug screen. I did blow into a little handheld to check to see if i was drinking but that was fine. He said it was up to me on how things progress and to see him in 2 weeks and by then I will be clean of the little weed that I smoked. I feel so much better now and will not screw this up one bit.

Good bye to all and good luck to anyone going down this road because it really sucks.

Also thanks to you guys who try to help because I really had no place to go and it helped me to prepair for best and worst possibilites.

Again thanks and I dont think I will ever put myself in this positon again.

Good Bye and God Bless

Sorry double post.

1. Sponsored Links