Default Health Problems Due to Gas Leak from Dangerous Furnace

My question involves injury or loss that occurred in the state of: California

In January 2007 our furnace stopped working and our apartment filled with gas. I called the gas company and they red tagged the furnace as dangerous possible loss of life and turned off the gas line to the rooftop unit. The owner was informed and given an order to fix. Owner did nothing to remedy the heat and raised our rent the following month. We went without heat for 6 months..owner provided a very small room heater for a two story 3 bedroom unit.The rental unit inside teps where 52 degrees.

In June of 2007 the owner attempted to sell the building. The building failed escrow because my unit was still red tagged. The last week in June 2007 the furnace/ air conditioner was replaced and the gas to the rooftop was turned back on. No permit was filed with the city for the replacement of the furnace and the unit was not inspected.I was not aware the owner failed to file the necessary permit with our city.

In July 2007 my family started to feel ill..headache , nausea . We noticed a strange smell filled the house when we turned on the air conditioning. We where told it was the new unit and the smell would go away. By mid July I started to have loss of ballance , headache , muscle spasms, muscle twitching and memory loss. My Doctor sent me to a Rheumatologist. I saw the Rheumatologist several times and he put me on flexeril to stop the muscle twitching and very painful spasms. My Rheumatologist referred me to a Neurologist. For 3 months my life stopped.

September 30th 2007 the odor was still in the house. I started researching what might case the symptoms I was having and was surprised to find a gas leak in the home can cause all the symptom my family was having. I called the gas company and the furnace was red tagged again and the gas turned off to the rooftop..the gas line was cracked and shoved inside the air-conditioning forcing the gas into our home. No inspection was ever done on the unit. After the gas was turned off my condition improved. The vice grip headache was gone. The constant muscle spasms became less and the twitching improved and I was able to stop taking the muscle relaxer everyday. My balance got a little better ...still can not walk a straight line.

I have many letters written to the owner to please repair the problem ...I have the red tags ordering the owner to repair by the gas company. My gas bill for July , August & September are double because of the leak.
    Do I have a case for personal injury?

Default Re: Health Problems Due to Gas Leak from Dangerous Furnace

Talk to your doctor; but as far as I can find, there are no known harmful effects following long-term exposure to methane. Once the source of the exposure is removed, your health should return to baseline.

Did you make any complaints to your landlord about the gas smell between July of 2007 and your discovery of the gas leak at the end of September, 2007?

Thank you for your reply,

I realize I quoted the wrong year...should be 2008 not 2007. Yes , I did talk to management several times between July 2008 and September 30th 2008 and was told the smell was because the unit was new. As of November 2008 the unit has yet to be inspected with the proper permit. I have called the Health Inspector and was told the order to repair given by the Gas Company overrides any order from the Health Inspector.

As far as dangers from natural gas other than explosion & carbon monoxide..
    Natural gas, in its original state, contains radon and benzene, chemicals "known to the State of California to cause cancer." It also contains toluene, a chemical "known to the State of California to cause reproductive harm." The benzene and toluene are destroyed when natural gas is burned. Radon does not burn but is released with the combustion by-products. Radon and natural gas combustion by-products can generally be removed through appliance vents and other exhaust systems.

Since it was being piped into the home thru the air conditioning...it was unburned.

The owner has an inherent responsibility to maintain his property. He was well informed of the problem and only interested in resolve when escrow failed due to the red tagged furnace.

I do understand that proving illness from long term exposure to natural gas remains to be seen. Permanent neurological damage has been observed in humans exposed to natural gas leaks.

This owner has ignored orders to repair and left his tenant without heat for 6 months during Winter. Installed a furnace without the required permits and inspection.

Forgive me if I gave a bit more information than requested...but I feel all the facts are needed.

If you believe you can make a case that you were exposed to contaminants within the natural gas that caused permanent health problems, I suggest finding a personal injury lawyer and having your lawyer start hiring the expert witnesses you will need to build that case.

one word of note. Gas is odorless the foul smell we associate with gas is added at the source, often at the gas well itself. That stuff is just awful smelling and will make you sick. The beauty is we can even smell a tiny leak like a pilot light going out. For sufficient gas to leak out would have resulted in such a foul smell everyone would smell it neighbors and the landlord and it would have driven you from the home.. It would also have been expensive and someone - the landlord or the gas company themselves would have seen a spike in usage.

The power our brain has to make us sick and cause symptoms is well known to attorneys. They will easily find expert witnesses for their side but you will be hard pressed to find witnesses on your side.

Don't mean to be negative but it's better to hear all the issues first.

Thanks for the input.

Unless the neighbors are on the rooftop or living in my home, they would not have smelled the leak. My gas bill for July, August and September shows a spike in gas usage. How much gas does it take to make one feel sick? The chemical added for detection Mercaptan can cause nasal passages to swell. So a small gas leak can go undetected by the tenant. It did not go unnoticed by the Gas Company...the owner was given 2 notices to remedy the problem by the Gas Company.

I have 2 children who where exposed for 3 months in their home to chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and reproductive harm..
    I did my job by informing the owner in January 2008 that the Gas Company had turned off the gas and red tagged the furnace and again in September 2008. The owner chose to ignore the order to repair. Had the owner filed the permits and had the unit inspected as required by law , there would not have been a leak.

All you can do is talk to a personal injury attorney & see if they believe you have a case.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Thank you , I will

You're welcome.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

1. Sponsored Links