Default Is a Felony Gone After HYTA

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

When I was 18 years old I was charged with manufacturing and distributing which is a felony. I went through probation successfully with no problems under HYTA and was told that the charge would be expunged. I have since then gotten my pistol purchase permit and purchased a gun. Now I want to get my ccw due to having my business in Detroit. Will I be able to do that???
    Second, I would like to finish my schooling with criminal justice and become a corrections officer. I have applied for a police officer job in Detroit and I told the truth on my mistake that happened in my past and did not get the job because of it. When I finish school, and apply for a position in another county, will they be able to see that I got into trouble and deny my employment? I donít want to spend any more money and time in this if I canít be in the work field that I want to be in.

Default Re: Is the Felony Under HYTA Gone?

Quote Quoting shena88
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

When I was 18 years old I was charged with manufacturing and distributing which is a felony. I went through probation successfully with no problems under HYTA and was told that the charge would be expunged. I have since then gotten my pistol purchase permit and purchased a gun. Now I want to get my ccw due to having my business in Detroit. Will I be able to do that???
    Second, I would like to finish my schooling with criminal justice and become a corrections officer. I have applied for a police officer job in Detroit and I told the truth on my mistake that happened in my past and did not get the job because of it. When I finish school, and apply for a position in another county, will they be able to see that I got into trouble and deny my employment? I donít want to spend any more money and time in this if I canít be in the work field that I want to be in.
    You need to remember that even if HYTA sealed your felony record, which it appears to be the case (you purchased a firearm), your record is still available to government agencies; Military, law enforcement, etc. Yes, they can deny you employment based on your past.

However, they may also take other factors into consideration and hire you. The call to continue is yours.

Default Re: Is a Felony Gone After HYTA

Will i be able to get my ccw?

Unlike a "regular" Michigan expungement, HYTA leaves your right to serve on a jury intact, meaning that your firearms rights should be intact. (Michigan's regular expungement, as it does not fully restore a convicted felon's rights, is not sufficient to lift federal firearms prohibitions.) But recall that eligibility doesn't automatically translate into "passing your background check". It just means you're not automatically disqualified.

Michigan is a Shall-Issue state now. I have a record expunged under the HYTA and was easily able to get a firearm and also my concealed pistol license. So thats your answer, feel free to exercise your rights. But I suggest you take a class, you will have to in order to get your permit anyways. I took it at Silver Bullet in Grand Rapids. Excellent class. They even bring in a lawyer and allow you to ask what-if questions and he tells you what you can and can't do legally. They also have pretty good little scenarios in the range they allow you do.

1. Sponsored Links