I'm a US citizen and my European husband has been granted an immigration visa for permanent residency. However, while we were going through the visa process, his job and other prospects in the US became uncertain. At the moment, we are unsure where the next few years will take us, whether and when we'll be able to move. But we have the permanent residency visa in hand and have to use it soon if we don't want to lose it.
My question is whether it makes sense to enter and activate the permanent residency, hoping to maintain it (through visits, tax filing, and bank accounts) until our actual move. Or whether we should simply let the visa expire (after all the cost and effort to get it!) and go through it all again in the future when we're really ready to go.
The decision rests on anticipating the difficulties and costs of maintaining the residency for perhaps a few years before actually moving. And understanding the risks, if any, of abandoning (by choice or accident) one's permanent residence status. If residency is abandoned -- either by filing the form or by having an immigration officer determine that you're not actually resident -- could that in any way threaten one's future possibilities to visit the US or to apply again for an immigration visa?
Your advice is appreciated! Thanks.