Default Abandoned Employee Property

My question involves personal property located in the State of: GA

Hello,

I work for a corporation whose secretary quit about six months ago. She left behind a HUGE mess-basically all the stuff she had accumulated in her office over the course of several years. I can't find any good information on the GA statutes on abandoned property and wanted to know exactly what the statutes say, how long we must wait for her to claim it before we can throw it out, etc. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Default Re: Abandoned Employee Property

I wasn't able to find a clear answer here - the Georgia Department of Revenue has a list of what property needs to be turned over to the state as abandoned and when one should do so, but it's a bit vague.

"All other property" would seem to cover your former employees belongings. I would expect that five years would be a bit long to hang on to it, though, so give the Georgia DoR a ring and ask. The contact numbers are on the cited page.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: Abandoned Employee Property

Quote Quoting zawnbo
    View Post
    My question involves personal property located in the State of: GA

Hello,

I work for a corporation whose secretary quit about six months ago. She left behind a HUGE mess-basically all the stuff she had accumulated in her office over the course of several years. I can't find any good information on the GA statutes on abandoned property and wanted to know exactly what the statutes say, how long we must wait for her to claim it before we can throw it out, etc. Thanks for any help you can provide!

The items you quote are not financial in nature, so the DOR would not have jurisdiction.

This is similar in nature to abandoned property a tenant leaves and a Landlord has possession of now. Title 44 in the GA code at least addresses that.

Searching online is tough at times. Pay a visit to a city library where they have the GA code, looking in the INDEX for chapters and defintions may turn up something. Try under such; Property; Abandonment; Bailment.

1. Sponsored Links