Default Background Checks and Warrants

My question involves a background check in the State of: TN

I need some help. I have outstanding bad check warrants in 2 counties in WV. They are from 1999/2000 and are misdemeanors not felony. I still retain my WV license as I am a student but I live in TN. I have renewed my drivers licences since the warrants were put out and no problem....my question is will these show up on background checks? I do not know if they were ever in NCIC. I think and I may be wrong but WV is one of those states that you literally have to call the county magistrate to find stuff out....I am going to get a TN license and I am hoping that by that they dont see the WV address and just dont call....I know i need to take care of it...but with the warrant fees it is just too much $ and I dont know if you can make payments or whatever.

Default Re: Background/Warrants?

All background checks are not created equal. What will show up on any given background check will depend entirely on how deep a check the employer makes.

You do need to take care of the warrants. You might very well have trouble getting a Tn. driver's license & the warrants can also keep you from getting jobs you apply for.

Yes, they might show up on a background check depending on how thorough of a one is done.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

I know I need to. I cant afford to. Unless they will reduce the warrant fees or let me make payments. I have run several online checks and nothing comes up. Does anyone know if a magistrate would do this? I mean if i get pulled over will I be detained? The lady there told me back in 99 "dont worry they are not going to come out of state to get you" so I just dont know what to think.

This warrant will follow you and you may not be able to get a driver's license in another state until it is taken care of. If you are stopped in Tn. & they see there is a warrant out on you, you can be taken to jail (though I'm not saying you will be) and W.V. notified. They may or may not come for you (probably not but you never know) & you might be held in jail until they make up their mind.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Quote Quoting babsjohnson
    View Post
    I know I need to. I cant afford to. Unless they will reduce the warrant fees or let me make payments. I have run several online checks and nothing comes up. Does anyone know if a magistrate would do this? I mean if i get pulled over will I be detained? The lady there told me back in 99 "dont worry they are not going to come out of state to get you" so I just dont know what to think.

Unless the warrant has an extraditable radius of surrounding states, if you are stopped for a reason, say traffic offense, the warrant may show up on a database, they can detain you on scene to check the status of extradition, if it is a no go, they can not jail you.

The only exception I have ever seen in laws on research is it "may" be unlawful to leave the home state with a warrant and enter another, as that is a seperate crime in and of itself, but I would not worry over that one??

Default Re: Background Checks and Warrants

The gentleman who cuts our elderly neighbor's grass got stopped here in Il. recently - had a warrant in Fl. for unpd. traffic tickets & they took him to jail. All I know is the neighbor paid some money at the jail to get him out. He goes to court in a few weeks.

Quote Quoting Betty3
    View Post
    The gentleman who cuts our elderly neighbor's grass got stopped here in Il. recently - had a warrant in Fl. for unpd. traffic tickets & they took him to jail. All I know is the neighbor paid some money at the jail to get him out. He goes to court in a few weeks.

Very possible. I don't know the specific facts of the case. Could be he had more than unpaid traffic tickets??

Agree, of course, it's very possible he didn't give me the whole story or even know it himself. I was just saying though what the neighbor told me.

1. Sponsored Links