Default Representative Payee Report - SSI

hello to all of you, I received the Rep Payee Report for my 3yo daughter since I am her biological mother. Her father, my husband died a year ago...sudden death. left us nothing at all. I have another child but not legally adopted by my deceased husband, so, she is not getting any SSI from him. I am confused on how to fill-up/answer the form. I do not want to make any mistake. Ive been very depress and stress every day...struggling financially on how to budget the SSI that me and my daughter are receiving. I cannot even work to get at least little income to help me pay some of my past due bills. We are not even getting any cash assistance or food assistance from the EBT/state benefit here because we went overboard the threshold as family 3. I am not eligible as well for a childcare/daycare benefit here in my state because I am over 200$ from their eligibility chart. That is why I am very upset, depress about all these things. They always have to ask how much SSI were are receiving and they consider that as an "income" where infact, when filing a tax return, it is not considered as income though. So, im confused. It is really hard...in fact, i have tears again and I really cannot help it. My ques are:

1. Do I need to make like a spread sheet type of attachment to show her monthly expenses from the first month (last year) that she received her SSI till this month?

2. Do I need to make the total monthly expenses to be an exact amount from the SSI she is receiving monthly?

3. What if there were months that the monthly expenses she incurred way beyond from the money she is receiving? is that fine?

4. There is a question on the form that says....if there is any "saved" money. She has none. No saved money at all. I am frustrated. I wanted to save so bad, but It is impossible right now till I get at least a part time job. Is it a bad thing that it will show that she has "0" saved money? Are they particular if there is any "saved" money at all? I was just talking earlier to an elderly friend of mine. She said that in her opinion, its not a bad thing at all, since everything has to go really to shelter, food, medicare, etc.. She said too that sometimes the Federal are looking into the possibility of increasing the monthly benefit of a minor child. About the idea if there is any "saved" money, she said sometimes it is a bad thing too. It is just showing that SSI is paying a lot from the minor child and they might deduct/lower the benefit.

Again, i have 2 minor kids here. Im jobless. Rent is very expensive plus the other misc. utilities that I needed to pay. I am trying very hard to give my kids a better life with a safe and secured shelter to live in, clothe them and feed them. I am paying my daughter's medicare too every month. The state said she is not eligible for state medicare because of again, Social security she is receiving way beyond their required amount for eligibility. Sucks! I am paying for life insurance too. After my deceased husband's death, without any insurance at all, i started getting this for my 2 kids' welfare.

Can I put this on her spreadsheet report about the life insurance eventhough it is under my name but she and her other sister are the beneficiaries?

Thank you very much and God Bless

Default Re: Representative Payee Report - SSI

I'm confused. You're trying to complete a form as representative payee for a child who has been declined benefits?

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    I'm confused. You're trying to complete a form as representative payee for a child who has been declined benefits?

No Sir. I was trying to complete this form sent by SSA for my minor child who has been receiving SSI from my deceased husband a year ago. It is like a form that I needed to complete and mail it back to them within 30 days. Since I am her mother who does receive her SSI monthly, I have to only answer Yes or No on the form. I didnt see anything that says "remarks" or any attachment that I needed to show where the one year total amount of SSI she received went like for shelter, food, medicare etc.. But obviously, there was no "saved" money that I can put for this year because there was really none at all, so I did put 0 in the box. But, starting Jan 1, 2009 since the cost of living will be 5.8%, I will start to put aside at least 50$/monthly for her so that for next years report, I would be able to show any "saved" money from her. But I was so stress and worried about this Report thing that I have to fill-up because I cannot even show any "saved" money since when my husband died, it was suddened and he did not leave nothing from me and his kids, no home, no insurance, no car, nothing...so, I struggled and still struggling. I do not know if Social will think negative about this no saved money at all. There was a portion of ques on the form to list down if any names of account like investment, bonds etc. We obviously again do not have so am not worried about this but I was thinking like maybe there were some people here when they listed down their investments etc...Social lessen or totally cut-off their SSI?

Thank you.

Put down truthful answers.

It's not always possible to save money.

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    Put down truthful answers.

It's not always possible to save money.
    Thank you Sir. Thats what I did. I will mail it out tomorrow. I made photocopies too for my file.

I understand where you are coming from. I have to go through the same thing with my children. They receive SSI due to disability and I hate filling out those things because I feel like I'm being attacked. I know they want you to save as much as you can, but its hard to do that. They want to tell you the money is the child's money but if you apply for assistance they deny because they count the children's SSI as "your" income. I say just be honest thats what I do. If they need proof write down all of your bills and add them up and show that nothing is left over. I have to go and meet with someone at Social Security Office because one of my payee reports got lost in the mail and it is very irritating. All I can say is that I do the best that I can for my children and my children have everything they want.

First of all, if your child is getting survivor benefits on a deceased parent it is not called SSI. SSI is Supplemental Security Income, a welfare program for disabled adults and children and elderly poor. SSI is based on need. Social Security retirement, survivor and disability benefits are based on a worker's contribution through payroll taxes to the Social Security system. Social Security is not a welfare system, at least not in 2009. Wealthy people can get Social Security benefits. Some people do pay income taxes on their Social Security benefits and some people pay higher Medicare premiums because of the amount of their other income. But the amount payable is NOT NOT NOT related to whether or not someone needs the money to live on. The amount does not change if you need it or don't need it. Not needs based.

However, when you apply for a needs based, welfare program, the agency does have to consider all sources of money that is used to support the family. If your child were not getting the Social Security survivor benefits, your family might qualify for some public assistance and you would probably be living on less than you are now.

1. Do I need to make like a spread sheet type of attachment to show her monthly expenses from the first month (last year) that she received her SSI till this month?

No, no, no. Just answer the questions on the rep payee report. Don't need to add much. Just answer the questions.

2. Do I need to make the total monthly expenses to be an exact amount from the SSI she is receiving monthly?

That makes sense. Do some rounding. If you don't save anything, you obviously spend it all. You can't spend more of her money than you receive so it can't be over.

3. What if there were months that the monthly expenses she incurred way beyond from the money she is receiving? is that fine?

Well, you didn't spend the Social Security funds on it so it doesn't factor in to the rep payee report. The payee report is for you to account for the Social Security survivor benefits you receive. It is not for you to justify other money you spend on your child. You can spend all the money you want on your child, if you have money to spend. None of that factors into how you spend the Social Security funds.

4. There is a question on the form that says....if there is any "saved" money. She has none. No saved money at all. I am frustrated. I wanted to save so bad, but It is impossible right now till I get at least a part time job. Is it a bad thing that it will show that she has "0" saved money? Are they particular if there is any "saved" money at all? I was just talking earlier to an elderly friend of mine. She said that in her opinion, its not a bad thing at all, since everything has to go really to shelter, food, medicare, etc.. She said too that sometimes the Federal are looking into the possibility of increasing the monthly benefit of a minor child. About the idea if there is any "saved" money, she said sometimes it is a bad thing too. It is just showing that SSI is paying a lot from the minor child and they might deduct/lower the benefit

Your friend is wrong. There is nothing about increasing the benefits of minor children. The only way benefits can increase is if the wage earner pays more Social Security taxes which is impossible in your case since he is deceased. She is also wrong that money will be taken away if you do save money. If your honest answer is that you have no saved money, then answer the question honestly. SSA is required to obtain rep payee reports by law. Often, I think they are inadequate and don't capture true misuse by unscrupulous payees.

Now, if your child was truly on SSI as a disabled child (father being deceased or living has nothing to do with it), then having too much in savings does create a problem because SSI is a welfare program. But that is not the program your child is on since it is based on the father being deceased, not on the child's own disability. There is another poster in this thread who does seem to have children on SSI. That poster should not follow this advice since the rules for SSI are different. However, she should also just be honest in completing the payee accounting.

Surely you would not advocate this minimal accounting of money used for children? At least there an agency attempting to make sure money for children is being used on the children.

Just answer the questions. If SSA needs clarification, they will contact you.

1. Sponsored Links