Default Wrong Name on Social Security Card

My son tried to get a replacement SS card and was told that his name had been legally changed in 1995. The office claimed that I add his step fathers name to his card. Which I did not. I was in the military for 9 years and used his correct name and ssn the whole time. His birth certificate has the correct name as well. We were told the only way to change his name was to go "back" to court to have it changed back. But we NEVER went to court to change his name to begin with. How do I go about getting the correct name on his card?

Default Re: Wrong Name on Social Security Card

The Social Security Administration didn't somehow figure out, all by itself, that your son had a stepfather, then change his name to his stepfather's. Somebody requested the name change, and that somebody submitted supporting documentation for the name change. Have you asked your spouse if he knows something about it?

If the SSA can give you information on the name change - what court issued the order and (ideally) the case number - you can also figure it out from the court records.

Default Wrong Name on Social Security Card

I had asked this question before:
    My son tried to get a replacement SS card and was told that his name had been legally changed in 1995. The office claimed that I add his step fathers name to his card. Which I did not. I was in the military for 9 years and used his correct name and ssn the whole time. His birth certificate has the correct name as well. We were told the only way to change his name was to go "back" to court to have it changed back. But we NEVER went to court to change his name to begin with. How do I go about getting the correct name on his card?
    This is the reply I got:
    The Social Security Administration didn't somehow figure out, all by itself, that your son had a stepfather, then change his name to his stepfather's. Somebody requested the name change, and that somebody submitted supporting documentation for the name change. Have you asked your spouse if he knows something about it?

If the SSA can give you information on the name change - what court issued the order and (ideally) the case number - you can also figure it out from the court records.
    ---
    I have been divorced from my ex for over 11 years now.
    What I did find out was that he needed my son's social security card for work and did not have his birth certificate, so he took my son's school records and doctor's records to the social security office. My son was 6 at the time. Both the school records and doctor's office records had my sons correct name and his step-father's last name on them. My ex was in the military and there were issues at the time with the different names, so they had both names on everything.
    He claims he didn't know that the social security card was changed until it came in the mail. He never brought it up because I continued to file taxes with the correct name with no problems. In fact I have never had any problems with this until my son lost his original social security card.
    The name was NEVER changed in a court, so there is NO COURT to go back to get records from.
    This is my problem. He has his correct name on his school records, medical records, driver's licence AND birth certificate, just not his social security card.
    He has started his first job and would like to get the issue resolved before the end of the year.

What were you told when you explained that to the Social Security Administration?

My son hasn't been able to go back to the social security office since he's working now. He works the same hours that the office is open. He doesn't want to miss any work since the job he is at will be scaled down at the end of the summer and he's competing for a position.

Based on your information, it certainly appears that someone at a social security office made a mistake in 1995. Unfortuneatly, if your son can't get them to straighten it out for free, he (or you) is going to have to spend a little money to do it.

I recommend collecting the documents that you have indicated, taking a couple of hours off work and making one more try at the local social secuity office. (I'm assuming you've exhausted what you can do at www.ssa.gov <not .com> and by telephone <1-800-772-1213>; if you haven't, try those first). You're objective is to (a) get them to correct his name and (b) if they won't correct it, provide documentation to you showing why they changed the name in 1995.

If that doesn't work, I recommend going to the name change route. It would be a relatively simple pleading that, based on the posts I've seen by you on other topics here, I believe you could do yourself. Your pleading would indicate his correct name and that he was also known by the second name (you did indicate above that both names were on many of the records). You would indicate that the multiple names causes confusion for him (your choice if you want to mention Social Security specifically). You would indicate that hereafter he is to be known solely by <the correct name>.

Check locally to find out which court handles it. There is no need to go to the court that originally changed it, even if there was one. It should be minimal court costs.

Thank you very much. We will be going down to the social security office as soon as he has a break from work. I did try using the web address and called. One said to go back to the court where the name change was issued and the other said to go back to our social security office with all the paperwork with the correct name on it.

I offered to pay the court fee for having his correct name being made legal.

I should be able to handle the paperwork on my own.

Thanks again!

You are quite welcome!

In case you haven't thought of it, make sure that he knows that, for the rest of his life when he encounters the question, "Have you ever been known by any other names?" (as when joining the military or applying for a security clearance) he must indicate the other name.

1. Sponsored Links