Unhappy Doctor Note Required for 2 Days Sick Time

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: California

I am a punctual, reliable employee who has never been disciplined for anything. I have taken two days off to recover from a head cold and sore throat, and our HR Dept. has demanded I get a doctors note even if I return to work on the third day. I will have to pay a $20 dollar co-pay (worth 1.5 hours of work for me!) just to get a note for a head cold.

Our employee handbook for 2007-2008 states:

'From time to time, employees may be required to submit a physician's note following an illness/injury absence. However, employees absent for three or more consecutive business days, due to illness or injury, will be required to submit a physician's note/release before returning to work.'

We do not have an updated 2008-2009 handbook to refer to. My supervisor did not question my sickness, so is it legal for HR to independently demand a doctors note even if I have not been out for three consecutive days?

Is it unreasonable to be out for two days? I have accrued 9 days of sick leave over the time of my employment, and I have used one day a month for appointments and illness. This is the first time I have been out two days in a row. Is it suspicious?

Thank you!

Default Re: Doctor Note Required for 2 Days Sick Time

so is it legal for HR to independently demand a doctors note even if I have not been out for three consecutive days?
    Yes, it is.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: Doctor Note Required for 2 Days Sick Time

Unless your handbook is written in such a way as to constitute a few contract (and most handbooks specifically state that they are NOT contracts) the employer may disregard it as they see fit. No law in any state, barring FMLA or a state equivalent, dictates to the employer how many days must be missed before they can require a doctor's note.

1. Sponsored Links