Default West Virginia Shoplifting

I was caught shoplifting at a Kroger's in WV. I took about 12 dollars worth of stuff and was caught on the way out. I was told I would have to pay the store 50 dollars and was given a citaton. If I follow all the things they tell me to do and pay my fines will it be taken off my record or will it show up in a criminal backround check. Also how much will the fines be?

Default Re: West Virginia Shoplifting

Is the citation for court?

the citation says that I have to go to court on a certain date. I have heard of diversion programs or something like that. I think they allow you to plead guilty, pay your fines, do community service, and it gets taken off your record. Is there anything like this is the sate of west virginia.

The availability of diversion programs varies by state and county. Check the websites for your county court or prosecutor, or ask a local criminal defense lawyer.

Hold on a sec... I just saw your other thread.
    Quote Quoting oak4216
    View Post
    I was issued a ciation for underage consumption about a month ago. I went to the magistrate and pleaded guilty but will go into a pre-trial diversion program. It says I must pay the fines, do community service, and attend a achohol educaton program.
    That would probably be what your county offers. You shouldn't expect to get a whole series of diversion programs for offense after offense. Consult a criminal defense lawyer.

would it be possible to do two diverson programs at the same time. Or if it has interfered could I do one diverson program and have to take the other one to court. Which is more serious when it shows up on your record, the underage comsumption or the shoplifting.

Well, as I understand the idea of the program, it isn't a lease to continually engage in criminal behavior with the possibility of getting repeated opportunities to have this very generous gift from the government.

I'm almost certain that any subsequent criminal behavior while you're on the program will interfere with some provision of it.

You should consult an attorney who's familiar with how your area handles these things.

I know I messed up and now I'm paying the price. I'm calling tomorrow to ask just how this has affected the citation I was already issued. Do I get charged for just calling a criminal defense lawyer or do I pay them if they represent me in court.

You will ask if the lawyer you call offers a free consultation. If so, you get a free consultation. If not, you either pay for a consultation or try a different lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links