Default My Car Was Towed from My Apartment Where I Live

My question involves towing laws for the State of: Michigan

My car was towed from my apartment complex where i live, i didnt go to bed until about four in the morning because we had friends over ! I get up for work in the morning and my truck is gone. Now they say on the sign in the lot that ILLEGAL or UNAUTHORIZD vehicles will be towed. Our lease states that we must register our vehicles with the complex to in order to be AUTHORIZED and recieve our parking permit. So when i call the tow place to see if the truck is there they say yes. I ask why, they say because the permit was not visible, therefor they thought it was not a residents car and was parked illegally in residential area.

The tow truck man says i was parked illegally, i say ok i was illegal with no tag huh?, A tag is simply nothing more than visual proof to the tow truck people and nothing more. So tell me what does my paperwork prove, does it make me legal or illegal, he starts yelling at me screaming take it to court, take it to court and hangs up on me.

Now my issue is ok you have my truck because you didn't see a tag and ASSUMED it was illegal or a guest, but i have paperwork that shows I am a resident which says i can park there ! Whats the purpose of us registering our vehicles if it doesn't provide any protection or service for us ? Also are they allowed to tow at that time of night ? And if i provide paperwork from my leasing office shouldn't i get my vehicle back ???

Default Re: My Car Was Towed from My Apartment Where I Live

Quote Quoting romeydasnowman3
    View Post
    My question involves towing laws for the State of: Michigan

And if i provide paperwork from my leasing office shouldn't i get my vehicle back ???
    As long as that paper you're showing has the right arrangement of dead presidents . . . sure. I jest.

I suppose the first question I have is the nature of this decal or sign or whatever you put on your cars there. Is it in roughly the same place on every car? Or is it removeable? If the former is the case, then you have a pretty strong argument with them about it. Because, well, that's where'd they should check first.

If it's differently arranged, then you should try to reason with the guy's boss. Nicely. Or try your manager's office at your apartment complex.

But the guy is right, barring any niceness, your only resolution may well be in the courts.

Or, I suppose you could technically file a stolen car report in that your property was in fact unlawfully taken without your consent. I'm not sure how that'd go over, but I'd be very interested in hearing about it if something like that ever came about. (This is probably the least good idea on here.)

Yes are hangtags are removeable, most people place them from the rearview mirror.

Now get this when i talked to the secretary in my leasing office she told me they took pictures for proof. So i called the tow place and asked were my tags hanging they said no they had pictures of my plates and the front winshield and my eastern michigan university id was hanging up, which is the school i attend. Now i know both of my tags were there the school along with the apartment permit.

Here's the crazy part.... I called yesterday to have to guy go look again and he says there is nothing but an airfreshner and mind you my doors are locked. So i say ok compare the pictures you have to what you just told me, thats when the arguement starts and he says, am I accusing them of breaking into my car and all that and removing my tags. I say idk im not there so someone tell me how the tag is missing now ???...And thats when I bring up the paper work arguement about whats really state or city law legal or just there little rules they make up to scam people and he starts screaming and hangs up one me !

I talked to my girlfriends uncle who is a cop in detriot and he sais thats illegally stealing and i could file a civil suit, but im not sure if i want to go that route i just want my ride back.

what do u think ?

Quote Quoting romeydasnowman3
    View Post

I talked to my girlfriends uncle who is a cop in detriot and he sais thats illegally stealing
    what do u think ?
    The only ones who can legally steal that I know of are the politicians.

I have no new advice for you that wasn't in my original reply. *sorry*

ok thanks for the help, i appreciate it !

1. Sponsored Links