Default Lost Title and Can't Locate Co-Signer

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Texas

My safe was recently stolen and along with it, the title to my 1991 VW Jetta. I have been trying to obtain a replacement title so I can sell the VW, since I bought another car. I completed and mailed an Application for a Certified Copy of a Texas Certificate of Title to the Texas Department of Transportation. They rejected my application because it lacked the co-signer's (my mother) signature and a copy of her ID. Another reason they gave stated, "Attach original release of lien from Volkswagen Credit Corp on company letterhead". Although my mother co-signed on the loan, I made every payment myself to VW Credit, Inc. from 1992-1997. I have almost every canceled check to prove that. However, I haven't spoken to my mother in years and don't know how to contact her. Is there some way I can have VW Credit prove to TxDOT that I did, at one time, possess the original title after the car was paid off? Also, what do they mean by "original release of lien from Volkswagen Credit Corp on company letterhead"? I have a document that says "Texas Certificate of Title" from when I purchased the car, but it isn't the one indicating that the car has been paid off. Please advise me on how to proceed. Thank you.

Default Re: Lost Title and Can't Locate Co-Signer

Is your mother named on the title as an owner?

Both of our names are listed, hers first. I don't know who, if anyone, is indicated as an owner because I no longer have the title. The "Texas Certificate of Title" I do have from when I purchased the car lists her name, then mine, with her old address when she lived in Austin in 1992. Thanks in advance for your help.

It sounds like the problem is that she's a co-owner. The DMV should be able to clarify that for you.

A release of lien is a document in which the creditor states that your loan was paid off. Their letterhead is their corporate stationery, typically with their logo and address printed at the top.

Thanks for your prompt response. I've been sick all week, so I haven't been online since Monday. I have been trying to find the appropriate phone number to contact VW Credit. When I do, I just ask for a release of lien? I'm starting to wonder if all this is even worth it. I received a notice that my VW will be towed from my apt. complex soon because the reg. & insp. stickers are expired. Although it only has 80,000 miles on it, the alternator is dead, there's a hole in the muffler, & there are some transmission issues. I've been advised to just let them tow it & cut my losses, but I'm wondering if I could get anything for it at a salvage yard or something. Do I need the title to do that? Thank you for your help.

1. Sponsored Links