Default Unreasonable and Imprudent Speed in Wisconsin

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: WI

I apologize if this is in the wrong area as I understand it is not a speeding ticket, but rather unreasonable and imprudent speed.

Time: 4am
    Weather: 10 mile visibility, 60 degrees, no precipitation prior/during, wind 3mph
    Traffic Conditions: none
    Actual Speed: unsure. I know i was DEFINETELY going under the speed limit, I did brake and downshift from 4th gear to 3rd to slow down for the yield sign, at what i believe was between 25-32 mph.
    Posted Speed limit: 40 mph
    Warning Speed: 25 mph
    No radar/laser/pace used to determine speed. I was just told by the cop I was flying through the roundabout and "looked like mario andretti"

I will be at court thursday and am looking for the smartest way to go about fighting this ticket, any advice would be appreciated.

What I have found is:
    the vehicle code:
    (2) REASONABLE AND PRUDENT LIMIT. No person shall drive a vehicle at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard for the actual and potential hazards then existing. The speed of a vehicle shall be so controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any object, person, vehicle or other conveyance on or entering the highway in compliance with legal requirements and using due care.

and:
    http://www.fairtrafficlaws.com/Speed_Warning_Signs.html
    on warning speeds - These signs are advisory; their purpose is to provide important information concerning hazards that may not otherwise be noticed by motorists. Unlike speed limit signs, they do not represent a legal requirement. Drivers cannot be ticketed for not heeding the advice given on them.

Default Re: Unreasonable and Imprudent Speed in Wisconsin

You posted this at the last minute; I just spotted the thread. Why don't you fill us in on what happened?

The biggest problem I see is "I am unsure how fast I was going" isn't a good defense to a ticket for driving at an excessive speed.

ok, i had the pretrial, which was a joke. they offered a 150$ fine and 3 points, so i'll be going to court.
    i did get to see the report the cop wrote out.

apparently, he witnessed from a thousand feet - not yielding at the round about, losing traction of my rear tires, unable to maintain lane at 3 roundabouts and then accelerating at a high rate of speed after the 3rd one.
    i was driving an 89 crx, which if you flip everything he said, describes what the car is.
    no way i could lose traction and it takes me 3.5 seconds to go from 25 to 40 mph.
    i don't have a court date yet, but looking for any thoughts on what to do.
    I'm going to take a picture from where he was and then from each roundabout, as it is impossible to see past the roundabout, to see the next one.
    i also plan on having factual information about my car i.e. 103hp when it was brand new, handling charecteristics
    and if i can figure out some math formula, prove that, as he wrote, "he maintained a speed of 90mph" to catch me, means i had to be going at the speed limit or lower for where i was pulled over

Quote Quoting 89crx
    View Post
    ok, i had the pretrial, which was a joke. they offered a 150$ fine and 3 points, so i'll be going to court.
    i did get to see the report the cop wrote out.

apparently, he witnessed from a thousand feet - not yielding at the round about, losing traction of my rear tires, unable to maintain lane at 3 roundabouts and then accelerating at a high rate of speed after the 3rd one.
    i was driving an 89 crx, which if you flip everything he said, describes what the car is.
    no way i could lose traction and it takes me 3.5 seconds to go from 25 to 40 mph.
    i don't have a court date yet, but looking for any thoughts on what to do.
    I'm going to take a picture from where he was and then from each roundabout, as it is impossible to see past the roundabout, to see the next one.
    i also plan on having factual information about my car i.e. 103hp when it was brand new, handling charecteristics
    and if i can figure out some math formula, prove that, as he wrote, "he maintained a speed of 90mph" to catch me, means i had to be going at the speed limit or lower for where i was pulled over
    Well, you might want to try www.accidentreconstruction.com for the maths involved. Who knows? I might be the one answer it there.

But the speed he needed to go to catch you doesn't really mean anything because his speed to overtake you rapidly isn't proof of your speed in the slightest.

This is particularly more the case in darker hours of the day - say like at 4 in the morning.

I'm uncertain of the lighting conditions on the roadways there, but a thousand feet is nearly a quarter of a mile away.

Isn't your car front-wheel driven? If so, then acceleration - when you goose the gas so to speak - will ratchet down the axles and stabilize the platform in its direction of travel because front wheel driven vehicles pull their load whereas rear wheel driven vehicles push their load.

Your car is so old, sorry to say, that I don't have its specs on my computer's memory.

I don't want to sound condescending with this question, but how are you maths skills in general?

my math skills get me by, but i do have a friend that is a smart man.
    as for the car, theres no way that what he said was possible.
    it is a small wheel base, less than 2k pounds and if im lucky has about 85hp and 70tq at this point in its life

1. Sponsored Links