Default My Friend's Parked Car Was Hit in My Apartment Complex

My question involves a traffic accident in the State of: Florida

I live in a small, privately owned apartment complex. My friend stayed with me last night, and in the morning he found that someone had hit and damaged his car. I haven't seen the damage, but he tells me that it is substantial enough to where there should be damage on the other car. Because I live in such a small place, it should not be hard for me to find this car, provided that there was damage to it, as well.

What really upsets me about this is the fact that there are a few younger guys that live there that have been known to drink and get loud and rough. I watched them pull out of the driveway one night and *almost* hit my car. I would not be suprised if it was them.

My question is - Is there any way to get the people who hit my friend's car to pay for damages? He did not file a police report and he has yet to contact his insurance company. Furthermore, is there anything either of us could do if the person was drunk? Many of us in the complex have problems with these guys, and we'd love to get them busted for something - finally.

Default Re: My Friend's Parked Car Was Hit in My Apartment Complex

Quote Quoting ReneeNicole
    View Post
    My question is - Is there any way to get the people who hit my friend's car to pay for damages? He did not file a police report and he has yet to contact his insurance company. Furthermore, is there anything either of us could do if the person was drunk?
    Your friend needs to first file a police report then contact his insurance company. The police could then investigate and see if they can find who hit his vehicle. If they are caught, their insurance company might be on the hook for your friends deductible.

How would you know if the person who hit his car had been drinking and even they had been, how could you prove it? All they would have to say is "No I wasn't drinking" and that's the end of that.

Default Re: My Friend's Parked Car Was Hit in My Apartment Complex

Its been my experience that the police won't get involved even if the dents match and there is matching paint. They just told me to file insurance-but hit and run coverage doesn't (normally) affect future insurance rates.

1. Sponsored Links