Default DHS Has Custody of Children

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Oklahoma

Two children were taken into DHS custody today due to a questionable mark on 4 year old. There was an accident at home where the Mother struck the 4 year old upside the side of the temple with a medicine measuring device not wanting to cause any harm to the child but it did cause a questionable bruising. Child was taken away from school into DHS custody and the 2 year too. Parents already have a court date and wanting to know what to expect or what documentation to take in order to get the children back. DHS is doing a homevisit on Monday and this is a first time offense. They have already contacted the peditrian and pastor at their church to obtain documents showing there has not been a concern in the past. Wondering if they should hire a lawyer for the court date, bring a grandma with them to court. Really at lost.

Default Re: DHS Has Custody of Children

That's an ugly business and you positively must have a lawyer. I wish I could say they have the child' best interests at heart but often that's just not true.
    http://newsok.com/oklahoma-dhs-wants...?tm=1218104369
    The lawsuit, filed Feb. 13, alleges that DHS routinely places children who are in state custody in unsafe situations in which many suffer further abuse and even death
    Oklahoma: DHS Director Investigated For Child Neglect http://fightcps.com/2007/07/26/oklah...child-neglect/
    DHS workers charged with sex crimes in McAlester [08-22-08] Oklahoma will pay $160000 to settle lawsuit in boy's scalding death

Quote Quoting josie46
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Oklahoma

Two children were taken into DHS custody today due to a questionable mark on 4 year old. There was an accident at home where the Mother struck the 4 year old upside the side of the temple with a medicine measuring device not wanting to cause any harm to the child but it did cause a questionable bruising. Child was taken away from school into DHS custody and the 2 year too. Parents already have a court date and wanting to know what to expect or what documentation to take in order to get the children back. DHS is doing a homevisit on Monday and this is a first time offense. They have already contacted the peditrian and pastor at their church to obtain documents showing there has not been a concern in the past. Wondering if they should hire a lawyer for the court date, bring a grandma with them to court. Really at lost.
    The parents truly NEED an attorney. The way you have described the "accident" it sounds like it was NOT an accident. No parent, at any time, for any reason should EVER strike a child in the head with hand, or any object. If this happened the way you describe, the mother IS guilty of abuse. The mother will need to accept that what she did was wrong, an attorney will be able to tell her the proper steps to take to begin to get her children back.

It would be very difficult to conceive of a way that a grownup could take a medicine delivery device (such as a plastic spoon like apperatus) and use it to cause a bruise on a child without some sort of guilt on the adult's part.

It is very difficult to deal with cps, or whatever they call it where you are even if you are innocent. (I know) If someone you know has done something that is obviously not innocent, (s)he needs a lawyer immediately.

Thumbs down Re: DHS Has Custody of Children

I myself do not nor will I ever trust the system of DHS. I live in Lincoln county and the DHS office here on many occasions have taken children with no proof what so ever. I have seen them take them off of people saying something happened but they were not there and when they did show up there was not even any bruising. This DHS office had one mess up and put a child back in an unsafe home (Kelsey Briggs) now they are taking it out on everyone and taking children that are safe. I have witnessed this now on 2 occasions. The sad thing is is that they can do whatever they want and there is nothing you can do about it. All I know is tell the woman to fight with all she has because if she doesnt the system has got what they wanted.

Quote Quoting dianawhite3
    View Post
    I myself do not nor will I ever trust the system of DHS. I live in Lincoln county and the DHS office here on many occasions have taken children with no proof what so ever. I have seen them take them off of people saying something happened but they were not there and when they did show up there was not even any bruising. This DHS office had one mess up and put a child back in an unsafe home (Kelsey Briggs) now they are taking it out on everyone and taking children that are safe. I have witnessed this now on 2 occasions. The sad thing is is that they can do whatever they want and there is nothing you can do about it. All I know is tell the woman to fight with all she has because if she doesnt the system has got what they wanted.
    The posted situation is very different. In this situation the Mother admits to striking her child on the head. DHS did the correct thing in removing the child.

All states' DHSes, or CPSs all make mistakes, but when the parent admits to what is legally abuse, the state is required to protect the child.

Hopefully, by now, the Mother has begun the parenting classes and has an attorney to assist her.

1. Sponsored Links