Default Tenant Demands Rental Receipts

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

Have a tenant who is demanding all past rent receipts. They have always paid with a check. Isn't their canceled check their receipt? Unless they pay cash, they don't get a receipt do they?

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Tenant Demands Rental Receipts

You should have been giving them one each rental period

Hi Panther,

I got the following from: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...iving-in.shtml I do this cause it was pounded into my head when I was 16 my Boss screamed at me for giving a receipt for a check, "You don't know if the check is good you moron". I still remember his verbiage.

Obtaining receipts for rent payments

If you pay your rent in cash or with a money order, you should ask your landlord for a signed and dated receipt. Legally, you are entitled to a written receipt whenever you pay your rent.97 If you pay with a check, you can use the canceled check as a receipt. Keep the receipts or canceled checks so that you will have records of your payments in case of a dispute.

I'm wondering if there is any other reference I can read to clarify. Thx

from the link:

If you pay your rent in cash or with a money order, you should ask your landlord for a signed and dated receipt. Legally, you are entitled to a written receipt whenever you pay your rent.97 If you pay with a check, you can use the canceled check as a receipt. Keep the receipts or canceled checks so that you will have records of your payments in case of a dispute.
    It does not state that if paid with a check, you are not entitled to a receipt. It merely continues and states the check can be used as a receipt.

A payment with a check demands a receipt as well. You give a receipt for a check tendered for whatever amount written for and for whatever purpose it was tendered.

It does not imply the check is good. It does not prevent the recipient from making a claim against the payer if it is not negotiable.

Your boss when you were 16 is the moron, both for what he said and for how he said it.
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

1. Sponsored Links