Default Caught Stealing at Walmart

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Missouri

Please Help Me, I don't know where to turn for help! I just did the dumbest thing of my life yesterday! I was caught stealing from Walmart. I've NEVER done anything illegal in my life, I don't know what I was thinking. I've had a tough year (divorce, job/insurance loss) and I know I shouldn't have but I needed the stuff to start a new job...that I will probably lose now since I'm a teacher! I've told my students 1000's of time not to steal! I've just been so broke and needed things until my new pay starts in a month...I know...no excuse!

The amount was around $450...I really didn't think it was that much stuff in the cart! It's under $500 which is good but because it wasn't just $30 or so, Walmart said they really want to go for me! They don't want to just let it go with a fine and a no tresspassing! They said I was using it to return or sell and even to lose weight-since there were several Crystal Light water bottles!! They said I was a regular, which is crazy! I didn't even plan to steal anything!! I don't even know what I was (or obviously was not) thinking!! It just sort of snowballed until I was pushing the cart out with the stuff in a daze!

I don't want one mistake to ruin my life! Can I ever teach again! Should I even go to school Tuesday (tomorrow is labor day), will I go to jail!?!?!

Is there anyway to save me? I can't believe I did it...it doesn't even seem real!

Please!! Any help or info...I've really never done this before because I don't even understand what happens!

Thank you!!!

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Caught Stealing at Walmart PLEASE

Your "one mistake" may have ruined your life. Contact a criminal defense Attorney soon as possible

Default Re: Caught Stealing at Walmart

Please Help Me, I don't know where to turn for help
    !
    Like Panther said, get yourself an attorney ASAP!!!

I just did the dumbest thing of my life yesterday!
    I totally agree there!! One should never go shopping without money.

The amount was around $450...I really didn't think it was that much stuff in the cart!
    Things add up quicky when you do not have money to pay.
    It's under $500 which is good but because it wasn't just $30 or so, Walmart said they really want to go for me!
    I see nothing good about this, and can you blame them?

They said I was a regular, which is crazy! I didn't even plan to steal anything!! I don't even know what I was (or obviously was not) thinking!!
    I am not sure what you were thinking, but I would think the same thing, a first time shoplifter does not walk into a store, fill up a cart, and just walk out with $450.00 worth of stuff.

It just sort of snowballed until I was pushing the cart out with the stuff in a daze!
    Was there an avalanche in the store pushing you out?
    I don't want one mistake to ruin my life! Can I ever teach again! Should I even go to school Tuesday (tomorrow is labor day), will I go to jail!?!?!
    It just may,and it is up the judge. From what I am getting here, you entered a store knowing you were flat broke, filled up a cart with a lot of merchandise, and proceeded to walk out of the store without paying. Not a good scenerio.
    Is there anyway to save me? I can't believe I did it...it doesn't even seem real!
    Get a good lawyer, if you cannot afford one, apply for public defender. In the meantime you should continue to go to work. I would also suggest getting some form of therapy, if what you say is true, and this is your first time doing anything illegal , because of one stressful year, you might be robbing banks next. Most people that I have come in contact with over the years, start out small. Good luck.

I would also recommend putting aside your nickels and dimes.

You will receive a civil demand or, depending on the limits of your local jurisdiction, a civil restitution for 2 to 3 times the amount of your theft.

This is above and in addition to any fines and court costs you incur for the criminal aspect.

Shoplifting really isn't very cost effective.

panther10758 Guest

You went into store with "no money or credit cards"? If so they could slap you with felony burglary charges since is clear you had clear intent to steal this was no impulse

As far as teaching goes, this may complicate your situation or it may not. If you get off with a misdemeanor, you probably may still teach; but if you get a felony, then that's where it can get complicated. Let me just put it to you this way: I was convicted in 2000 for petty theft and now I'm a highschool teacher. When I did my Live Scan (fingerprinting) the report came back to the school as "qualified."
    If you had no method of payment on you at the time of the arrest, then it would be pretty easy for the prosecutor to get a felony burglary on you, since all they need to turn shoplifting into burlary is to prove prior intent to steal. Also, you may be required to notify the school of probation which may be one of the outcomes of the case. This really may be a tricky situation.

If you have no prior convictions, the likelyhood of your going to jail is extremely slim. First offence shoplifting/commercial burglary cases almost never include jail time. However, nothing in court is 100% certain because it's mostly all up to the judge.

Where you arrested and carted off to jail?

Or did they let you go and tell you they would send the paperwork to the DA's office for filing?

If you were not arrested, you may just be sent a summons to appear in court. This may be a good thing for you as you could escape an arrest record. If you were arrested, do you have code # on the ticket?

This should help, from what you've said, if and when they charge you, it will be a misdemeanor:

If the item is valued at more than $25,000 it would be considered a Class B Felony under Missouri criminal law.

If on a second offense, the item stolen is valued at more than $3000, then it would be a Class B Felony.

If the item is valued at under $500, and isn't an otherwise prohibited item (such as a firearm), then it would be considered a Class A Misdemeanor.

A misdemeanor stealing charge can carry a penalty of from 1 day to 1 year in jail, and a fine of up to $1000.

Felony stealing carries a penalty of potentially 1 to 7 years in jail and a fine of up to $5000.
    Go to work tomorrow and find a criminal defense attorney on your lunch break. Retain him/her and stay out of Walmart in the mean time.
    Don't worry about what the LP in Wally world said to you, he's paid to intimidate you.

1. Sponsored Links