Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 16 Year Old Daughter Moved Out, Do I Still Owe Support?

My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: Florida
    My 16 year old daughter moved out with her boyfriend in Florida. I am current on my support. My question is, is it possible to pay my daughter instead of her mom? I know I must get a court order to change anything on the divorce decree, but is it possible? My daughter openly admitted she hasn't seen a dime from her mom in over a year. What is the procedure, if anyone knows. Please, if you have been through this please let me know....if you are just going to say...get a lawyer...then please lets wait to say it.... Also, the Florida law looked very simple on emancipation...is it spelled out more exclusively in the statutes somewhere??

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: 16 Year Old Daughter Moved Out, Do I Still Owe Support?

Did you also ok this move? You answered your own question. The court will decide your questions

panther10758 Guest

FL teen emancipation requires parents file petition. It is not likely she has been emancipated but only that other parent allowed her to live with her BF. Which in itself could be illegal as age of consent is 18!

No I don't think she ok'd it. I was also wondering about her living with her BF who also got her pregnant. I was wondering if that was legal also?? I will be contacting a lawyer first thing Tuesday morning. Thanks... but if you have other input let me know.
    J

panther10758 Guest

She cannot move without consent. She is below the age of consent therefore depending on the age of the Father he coud be in jail. You can legally forbid contact with Father if you wish. Yes talk to a Lawyer

Or, better, you could be a dad and tell your errant daughter to stop shacking up with the man who impregnated your minor child and to come home.

And, if she says no, you send the cops to get her. Depending on the age of her boyfriend, he may not have a say in the matter... he will be going to prison.

Quote Quoting jnaarnold
    View Post
    My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: Florida
    My 16 year old daughter moved out with her boyfriend in Florida. I am current on my support. My question is, is it possible to pay my daughter instead of her mom? I know I must get a court order to change anything on the divorce decree, but is it possible? My daughter openly admitted she hasn't seen a dime from her mom in over a year. What is the procedure, if anyone knows. Please, if you have been through this please let me know....if you are just going to say...get a lawyer...then please lets wait to say it.... Also, the Florida law looked very simple on emancipation...is it spelled out more exclusively in the statutes somewhere??
    Unless your daughter marries her BF (you and ex will have to give permission), you still have to pay CS.

I can fully understand you not wanting to pay to your ex anymore, but you have a choice of either filing for custody (forcing your daughter to live with you or ex), or contimuing to pay ex.

If you and ex want to file for emancipation, your daughter will need to prove to the court that she can FULLY support herself- WITHOUT any financial help from you, ex, BF, or the state.

I'm going to withold my personal opinion on the option, but it is a legal option: IF you and ex are still determined to allow your minor child to do as she pleases, your daughter and BF can marry (with both parents' permission). She would then be fully emancipated, neither you nor ex would be legally responsible for her support, and then you would file to end CS altogether.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    Or, better, you could be a dad and tell your errant daughter to stop shacking up with the man who impregnated your minor child and to come home.

And, if she says no, you send the cops to get her. Depending on the age of her boyfriend, he may not have a say in the matter... he will be going to prison.
    1. This is the first time in 10+ years I have talked to my daughter. My ex-wife has been very elusive, avoiding all attempts I have made to locate her until now.

2. The guy is 23 and she will be 17 in Nov. . Is this legal in Florida?

3. I am a dad, I am successfully raising 5 other children with one woman and have been very blessed. If I would of been given the oppurtunity to raise this girl I never would of allowed her getting pregnant to even happen. Please, don't assume things without knowing ALL the facts.

panther10758 Guest

No its not legal!

could you possibly give supporting information for why it is not legal? eg. statues.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast