Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How to Return Stolen Merchandise

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Indiana

Today I did something really stupid, obviously. I shoplifted 2 perfumes from kohls, which prob totaled around a 90$ value. However, now I feel horrible and want to return the items. Would doing this prevent police from being able to come to my door and arrest me? I did it by taking them out of the boxes in the fitting room and leaving the boxes behind in the cart. I feel absolutely humiliated and ashamed and I don't want to feel this guilt anymore nor risk getting caught by police having survelliance and my license plate number from parking lot cameras.

Please let me know how to go about returning these items or what I should do asap. Should I just mail hem with no return address, or with a note saying i'm sorry and returning the items?

Default Re: How to Return Stolen Merchandise

Returning the items may ease your mind but will not erase the crime. You could still be prosecuted for theft. My advice to you would be to not return the items (this could place you in harm's way) and just never go back to that store. The probability that you will be pursued for this is very low. The most that would happen is that the store would remember you and watch out form you next time.

Thanks for your response...I actually didn't sleep at all last nite because of this. I really think that honestly, I was led to this site for a reason. I see this in a completely different light now, how it really does hurt retailers...I guess I'd never really taken a deep thought into how shoplifting actually devastates the economy. I just feel so horrible about it and I am still worried sick that they will read my plates and come after me. I came out of a dressing room and left the empty boxes in plain sight in a cart, wtf was i thinking? I am at college, my car is registered under my parents an hour and a half back home so I guess I'd be getting a call from them if the police were to show up at their house asking about me. Would kohl's have to contact police here to contact police in my hometown or how exactly would that work? Again, what are the chances of this happening (it's a suburban college town) and if police do show what should I do, as far as admitting my guilt and what to say?

Sorry for all the questions, again I just cannot sleep and I'm sick with shame and disgust at what I've done.

Thanks.

Okay, first, give yourself a break.

If it hasn't happened by now, it probably won't.

remember this feeling the next time you think about stealing...

Give the perfume away if it bothers you.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Why don't you put the bottles in a box and mail them back to Kohls with an unsigned apology letter.

Returns the items to their rightful owner, and while it may not completely clear your conscience, it will do something in that way.
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

So, are you saying that mailing them back won't help, but will only relieve my conscience? I'm just so afraid they're going to track me down...kohl's seems like their LP's are pretty hardcore...

panther10758 Guest

Ok explain how they will "track" you? Did you buy anything in store how did you pay? Did LP follow you outside and take your plate etc

Quote Quoting sorry115
    View Post
    So, are you saying that mailing them back won't help, but will only relieve my conscience? I'm just so afraid they're going to track me down...kohl's seems like their LP's are pretty hardcore...
    We cannot predict the future.

It is possible that you could be arrested. It is also highly unlikely.

However, we cannot predict the odds with any precision.

Quote Quoting panther10758
    View Post
    Ok explain how they will "track" you? Did you buy anything in store how did you pay? Did LP follow you outside and take your plate etc
    I paid with a return credit card i'd received the day before by returning something I had boughten but wasn't compatible with my ipod. So idk if that could be linked to me but I'm more worried about the cameras seeing my license plate number. No LP followed me, but I did leave the empty boxes in my cart. Sorry if my questions are repetitive I guess this is just the first time I've stolen anything over a 10$ value and I feel awlful about it, the effect of what I've done has just hit me. To say the least I am done with shoplifting for good. But yea, I just paid with that gift card.

I would say that at this point in time, you do not have to worry about LP taking time out of their normal duties to investigate the loss, if was even discovered at this point, of two frangrances valued at under $100.00.
    Nevermind them contacted the local PD, with such a shot in the dark.

If you were seen entering the fitting room,with these items, and monitored, leaving empty boxes, you would have been stopped already.You were not.

Chances are those empty boxes are still sitting right where you left them admist all the holiday weekend inventory to be sorted through, and put away.
    You did not rob a bank, nor did you commit murder, you did however commit the crime of shoplifting, and if what you say is true, you feel bad about it, I would take it as a lesson learned. Do what you wish with the perfume, but never forget this feeling..
    I would not make myself sick over them coming to get you, after all most LP are interested in the here, and now, and making a stop in real time. Taking inventory however teaches them which merchandise to keep an eye on, and if they by chance happen to review the tape, which may be highly unlikely,(but not impossible) they may keep an eye on you in the future.

Admitting you are wrong is the first step. You were lucky you did not get caught this time, but even the best get caught..never forget that.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast