Default Breaking a Lease Agreement in California

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

I moved into my unit March 2009 with a 1 year lease. When I signed my lease, I was not informed they were planning on any renovation or construction on the building.

In June they informed us the building will have all the pipes replaced. The contracted plumber sent a notice informing us the work would take 1-1/2 weeks. After the work began, we were sent another notice informing us the work would take 4-1/2 weeks. It has now been almost 2 months, and I cannot seem to find an answer from my building manager or the plumber regarding when the work will be finished. To their credit, water service has not been interrupted at all. However, they have removed large parts of my bathroom wall and kitchen wall so that the inside walls are very exposed and quite un-aesthetically appealing. I am not comfortable using either the kitchen or the bathroom, and actually havenít for the past few weeks. I feel I am paying to live in an apartment I was not promised in the beginning.

I have an opportunity to move and contacted my building manager to discuss it. She informed me there is a $500 penalty to break the lease early, and that I would still be held responsible for the rent until the lease ends. My lease does not mention anything about breaking the lease early.

What I do not understand is why I would still be held responsible for the rent after I willingly pay the penalty for breaking the lease? Why would I still be held to the terms of the lease after breaking it?

I have consulted with a local tenants union who advised me that I could leave on the grounds that my right to quiet enjoyment of the apartment is not being met and that I should write this in my 30 day notice.

Any information or advise would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Breaking a Lease Agreement in CA

Nothing in your post is grounds to terminate your lease early

1. Sponsored Links