Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Mississippi Emancipation

I'm 16 I just had a baby in January of 08. I was living at home with my mother at the time. Well as any mother would know we all need breaks sometime. I hadn't slept in 2 days and asked my mother if she could watch my son while i caught up on some much needed sleep. Well she never gave him back. She refuses to give him back. We were fighting constantly so i moved in with my Fiance, the father of the child, and his grandparents. By law in the state of Mississippi its not illegal for me to just go and take my son from her, BUT she could list me as a runaway. Therefore I have missed out on 7 months of my sons life. I have not spent one day alone with just me and my son let alone any of my fiance's family members or my dad. The only thing I can do is get emancipated. In Mississippi is says you have to have both parents signature. If my mother were to know what I was trying to do she would indefinatly do ANYTHING in her power to make sure I don't get him. I am not on any drugs nor have I ever abused my son. What Am I To Do????

Default Re: Mississippi Emancipation

Quote Quoting TxGrl0108
    View Post
    I'm 16 I just had a baby in January of 08. I was living at home with my mother at the time. Well as any mother would know we all need breaks sometime. I hadn't slept in 2 days and asked my mother if she could watch my son while i caught up on some much needed sleep. Well she never gave him back. She refuses to give him back. We were fighting constantly so i moved in with my Fiance, the father of the child, and his grandparents. By law in the state of Mississippi its not illegal for me to just go and take my son from her, BUT she could list me as a runaway. Therefore I have missed out on 7 months of my sons life. I have not spent one day alone with just me and my son let alone any of my fiance's family members or my dad. The only thing I can do is get emancipated. In Mississippi is says you have to have both parents signature. If my mother were to know what I was trying to do she would indefinatly do ANYTHING in her power to make sure I don't get him. I am not on any drugs nor have I ever abused my son. What Am I To Do????

Unless the law has changed in Mississippi, and I didn't find anything that states it has, Mississippi emancipation laws are limited, and do not allow a minor to emancipate the way you would like it to.

You are correct that your mother could report you as a runaway.

It doesn't sound like your mother is keeping you from your child, it seems you are choosing to stay at your b/f's residence instead.

You haven't seen your newborn son in 7 months? Wow.

Anyway, you can always get your child back. You just have to live at home to do it.

Unless visitation has been established by the father of the child, no one has any RIGHT to see the child except you.

panther10758 Guest

How old is the BF? When did you turn 16?

Quote Quoting Happy Trails
    View Post
    Unless the law has changed in Mississippi, and I didn't find anything that states it has, Mississippi emancipation laws are limited, and do not allow a minor to emancipate the way you would like it to.

You are correct that your mother could report you as a runaway.

It doesn't sound like your mother is keeping you from your child, it seems you are choosing to stay at your b/f's residence instead.

See what no one except the people that know her know the way she is. She is not a person you could ever live with. She is by law insane. She has a temper that nobody could ever put up with. Its not as easy as everyone thinks. No one else knows what i'm going through because nobody knows my mother. I can't understand how anybody could actually think I don't want to be apart of his life. Did nobody hear me?? She will do anything and everything in her power, even if I did live with her, to keep me away from my son...What kind of world is this??? There are parents out there who beat and abuse their children, but I'm a mother who would just like to have my son, away from that evil witch, and there's nothing I can do. The USA is a F***** Up place...

Quote Quoting panther10758
    View Post
    How old is the BF? When did you turn 16?

My boyfriend is 17. I have a birthday coming up in January. I just don't want to wait that long to be apart of my sons life.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    You haven't seen your newborn son in 7 months? Wow.

Anyway, you can always get your child back. You just have to live at home to do it.

Unless visitation has been established by the father of the child, no one has any RIGHT to see the child except you.

See what nobody understands is that my mother is crazy. She treats me like shit and I can't deal with it. She could make a Priest do some crazy things. I can't understand why i can't just have my baby at his daddies. We aren't on any drugs, he would have his own room, and I love him very very very much. It's because i'm 16, nobody thinks a 16 can raise a child but thats not true...

panther10758 Guest

Quote Quoting TxGrl0108
    View Post
    My boyfriend is 17. I have a birthday coming up in January. I just don't want to wait that long to be apart of my sons life.
    So you were under age of consent when you two had sex!

See, what you don't understand is that as long as you are under 18, your mother gets to say where you live. So if she wants to list you as a runaway, she can, whether you have your son with you or not.

Quote Quoting TxGrl0108
    View Post
    See what nobody understands is that my mother is crazy. She treats me like shit and I can't deal with it. She could make a Priest do some crazy things. I can't understand why i can't just have my baby at his daddies. We aren't on any drugs, he would have his own room, and I love him very very very much. It's because i'm 16, nobody thinks a 16 can raise a child but thats not true...
    I don't understand why you would leave your son there with a "crazy woman". A mother would be there to protect her son. I'm really not trying to pick a fight, but your logic makes absolutely NO sense at all. Go home and either stay there or pick up your child IF your mother hasn't filed a case of abandonment/runaway against you and now has custody of your child.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast