Default Adopting my sister's baby

my sister livs in OH and would like my spouse and I to adopt her baby. Birth dad is unknown. We live in PA. Can anyone tell me what we would need to do to take baby home from the hospital in either OH or PA? Is a home study still needed if we are family and its direct adoption? Is home study still needed even if we do a pre birth order or a consent document?

Default In-Family Adoption

Where will the baby be born?

Default adopting sister's baby

that is undecided so i need info on both states OH and PA.

What if the father refuses to sign adoption papers?

Default adopting sister's baby

She was drugged at a party and the dad is unknown.

Default Need some help

My sister is having a baby next month and she wants my husband & I to adopt it. My concerns are the same as the first writer do I have to go through the whole nut roll if we are sisters and the father is unknown. My sister lives in VA but my husband and I live in Louisiana.The baby will be born down here in Louisiana. I can't seem to get any help and I am lost, time is running out and money is limited. What can be done?

Virginia's adoption code can be reviewed online here. Louisiana's adoption law can be browsed [url=http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=72639]here[/ur], using the "Next Section" link, and associated provisions in the Children's Code can be viewed here.

(For the earlier queries Pennsylvania's is here. Ohio's can be accessed here - click Title XXXI, Domestic Relations, Children, then Chapter 3107, Adoption.)

If the father is unknown, the court will generally proceed with the adoption assuming substituted service is effected (perhaps some form of public posting or publication) as ordered by the court. There is a risk that if the father is actually known (but his identity is withheld by the mother) he may later be able to challenge the adoption. (That ability will vary depending upon state law.)

Virginia's law governing home studies provides,
    Quote Quoting § 63.2-1231. Home study; simultaneous meeting required; exception.
    Prior to the consent hearing in the juvenile and domestic relations district court, a home study of the adoptive parent(s) shall be completed by a licensed or duly authorized child - placing agency in accordance with regulations adopted by the Board. The home study shall make inquiry as to (i) whether the prospective adoptive parents are financially able, morally suitable, and in satisfactory physical and mental health to enable them to care for the child; (ii) the physical and mental condition of the child, if known; (iii) the circumstances under which the child came to live, or will be living, in the home of the prospective adoptive family, as applicable; (iv) what fees have been paid by the prospective adoptive family or in their behalf in the placement and adoption of the child; (v) whether the requirements of subdivisions A 1, A 2, A 3 and A 5 of § 63.2-1232 have been met; and (vi) any other matters specified by the circuit court. In the course of the home study, the agency social worker shall meet at least once with the birth parent(s) and prospective adoptive parents simultaneously. When the child has been placed with prospective adoptive parents who are related to the child as specified in subdivision 6 of § 63.2-1233, this meeting is not required.
    To detail that exception,
    Quote Quoting § 63.2-1233. Consent to be executed in juvenile and domestic relations district court; exceptions.
    6. When a child has been placed by the birth parent(s) with prospective adoptive parents who are the child's grandparents, adult brother or sister, adult uncle or aunt or adult great uncle or great aunt, consent does not have to be executed in the juvenile and domestic relations district court in the presence of the prospective adoptive parents. The juvenile and domestic relations district court may accept written consent that has been signed and acknowledged before an officer authorized by law to take acknowledgments. No hearing shall be required for the court's acceptance of such consent.
    Louisiana has a similar provision:
    Quote Quoting Art. 1171. Prior approval of private adoptive placement; exceptions
    Except when the child is the stepchild, grandchild, sibling, niece, or nephew of one of the prospective adopting parents, no child who is the subject of a private adoption shall be placed in the home of the prospective adoptive parents prior to their either obtaining a current certification for adoption, as provided for in Articles 1171 through 1173, or by their obtaining a current order of a court of competent jurisdiction approving the adoptive placement, as provided for in Articles 1175 through 1177.
    It appears that you can download a set of Lousiana adoption forms here (browse down to Section 10). Some Virginia forms are available here.

Does anyone a a rough idea of what an private family adoption process consists of or what it may cost. I have been calling around but I haven't been able to find out. This is a family effort and everyone wants to help out because finances are really low.

1. Sponsored Links