Default Would Capital One Garnish Bank Account Over a $2400 Judgment?

My question involves judgment recovery in the State of: Minnesota

Before Christmas I received a summons from a Lawyer working for Capital One for a credit card bill from 2002. The summons was from ND and stated that I had to contact them within 10 days or Judgment would be filed. I called them the next day and tried set up a payment plan, they wanted way more a month then I could afford because Iím unemployed and I told them that. I did make them monthly payments, not as much as they wanted, but I was trying. Last month I didnít make a payment because I just didnít have any money to send them. Today I received a letter from the court saying that I didnít contact the party when I was suppose to so they granted a Judgment to Capital One for $2400.43.

Iím unemployed and my husband is a independent contractor. We have a joint bank account and I also have a joint bank account with my mom whoís only income is Social Security. I donít own any property and the only cars in my name donít run so Iím basically worth nothing.

I guess my questions are how likely do you think it is that Capital One will try to garnish these bank accounts? Would they go to this extent for $2400? Also how fast do you think they would do it? Do you think they would start garnishment if I send them monthly payments? Iím not even sure where to send the payments all it says on the letter is Capital One.

Thank You for your time.

Default Re: Would Capital One Garnish Bank Account Over a $2400 Judgment?

I guess my questions are how likely do you think it is that Capital One will try to garnish these bank accounts?
    Very likely. They got their judgement, the rest is cake to them.

Would they go to this extent for $2400?
    Yes, I've seen them go after less.

Also how fast do you think they would do it?
    ??? Hard to say. Not as long as you think.

Do you think they would start garnishment if I send them monthly payments?
    I don't think so but anything is possible. They have already been there and done that and it didn't work out for them.

I'd also go as far to say...personally, I'd get off of mom's account before the garnishment catches up with you....just to keep that can of worms from opening.

You can always get a job at the local McD's and let the garnishment get paid that way.

1. Sponsored Links