Unhappy CVS Sick Benefits

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Fla.
    I workd for CVS in Fla. and was sick for appropiately one week. I have been told that sick time with/without an Dr. excuse is paid at the discretion of the store manager. Is this a fair work practice as one may be paid and the other not?

Default Re: CVS Sick Benefits

What does your employee manual say? I find it difficult to believe that such a large company would have such a wishy washy policy!!

~Christina

Quote Quoting Queenmother123
    View Post
    I have been told that sick time with/without an Dr. excuse is paid at the discretion of the store manager.
    Who told you that? Did you not get paid? Did you have sick days accrued/earned? What is the sick pay plan/policy of your employer?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

The law doesn't care if it's a fair policy. The law only cares if it's a legal policy.

The policy as it stands is legal. IF there were evidence that who was and was not being paid was based on race, religion, national origin, etc., that would be a problem, but if you are a non-exempt employee you are not legally entitled to be paid when you do not work; it is up to your employer whether you get paid or not in any case.

But IS IT the policy or is she only being told it's the policy?

A company that large has all of its rules and regulations written somewhere, and all employees are given access to that.

OP, you probably also have an 800 number to call regarding hr issues. I suggest calling that and requesting a copy of the employee manual and/or sick leave policy.

I wish you luck.

~Christina

I think it's perfectly reasonable to leave it to the manager's discretion. A policy requiring doctor's notes in all cases would put an undue burden on minimum wage and near-minimum wage employees. A policy that attempted to dictate when doctor's notices were and were not required would either become byzantine and unworkable, or would be hit or miss as to whether it requires notes in situations where they should or should not be required.

1. Sponsored Links