Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Are There Laws Regarding a 16 and an 18 Year Old Dating?

I'm 16 and dating a guy that is 18. I live in oklahoma. We don't intend on having sex. Are there any laws regarding this?

Default Re: Are There Laws Regarding a 16 and an 18 Year Old Dating?

For the 3,278th time, no, there are no laws in any state that say who can and cannot DATE. There are laws regarding who can and cannot have sexual contact (not limited to intercourse) with each other.

To quote one of my esteemed colleagues, as long as you don't do anything that you couldn't do in the front pew of the church on Christmas Day with your parents sitting in the pew behind you, you're fine.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    For the 3,278th time, no, there are no laws in any state that say who can and cannot DATE. There are laws regarding who can and cannot have sexual contact (not limited to intercourse) with each other.

To quote one of my esteemed colleagues, as long as you don't do anything that you couldn't do in the front pew of the church on Christmas Day with your parents sitting in the pew behind you, you're fine.

Although 16-18 is high school age and dating is always a norm, we also have to understand that, if we look at the underlying implications, even though there is/may not be a specific law to address it, you can bet if an 18 year old "holds out" to the community that he is "dating" a 12 year old, don't be too sure the law will just stand by!!

Have you ever known anyone who dates that does not, at minimum, hold hands and kiss??

panther10758 Guest

Quote Quoting Savannahsue02
    View Post
    I'm 16 and dating a guy that is 18. I live in oklahoma. We don't intend on having sex. Are there any laws regarding this?
    By "not having sex" does this include groping, fondling. dry humping, kissing that entices or arouses either of you, sexual talk, chat, texts, exchanges of intimate photos etc etc All of these can land the 18 year old in trouble. Last an most important how do your parents feel about your dating an adult!?

BOR, are you saying that you couldn't hold hands in church? Or even, as long as it was before or after the service and not during, a light kiss?

If so, I'm glad I don't go to your church.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    BOR, are you saying that you couldn't hold hands in church? Or even, as long as it was before or after the service and not during, a light kiss?

You said there were no laws against ANY ages dating and I referenced a 12 year old! Are you also talking about such with a 5 year old??

If so, I'm glad I don't go to your church.

Church has nothing to do with it, that was in your original post.

You know nothing about my religious affiliation and place of worship, so please refrain from being so rude as that comment was uncalled for!!

BOR, the poster asked if there were any laws dictating who may date and made it clear that she was not using the term as a euphamism for having sex. There are no such laws, regardless of the ages of the minors involved. Obviously there would be problems with an 18 year old and a 12 year old, but that does not create a statute I can quote her, or you. If you feel that there is any statute or case law that dictates who can date, using the definition that the poster clearly meant, do feel free to post it.

As far as the church comment, it was meant lightheartedly. If it came out offensively, you have my sincere apologies.

Dating is not covered by statute that I have ever seen.

Physical/Sexual activity is, but dating in and of itself is not. I am not sure that dating has ever been legally defined.

That would be an interesting discussion.

BOR, by the way, that church saying was mine... and it was just to find a way to put kids in the right mindset on what was allowed. If anyone offended you, the blame is ultimately mine and I apologize.

I was asking because someone once told me that as long as the minor was over the age of 16 and the adult was under the age of 21 there were no laws against having sex, which I was sceptical of.

Quote Quoting BOR
    View Post
    Although 16-18 is high school age and dating is always a norm, we also have to understand that, if we look at the underlying implications, even though there is/may not be a specific law to address it, you can bet if an 18 year old "holds out" to the community that he is "dating" a 12 year old, don't be too sure the law will just stand by!!

Being that I'm not 12 I think my situation may be slightly different.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    BOR, the poster asked if there were any laws dictating who may date and made it clear that she was not using the term as a euphamism for having sex. There are no such laws, regardless of the ages of the minors involved. Obviously there would be problems with an 18 year old and a 12 year old, but that does not create a statute I can quote her, or you. If you feel that there is any statute or case law that dictates who can date, using the definition that the poster clearly meant, do feel free to post it.

As I also pointed out in my initial respsone to you, I also have never seen a specific law which states such, as an example:

"It shall be against the public policy of X state where a person over the age of 18 holds out that he or she is engaged in human conduct or interaction that is commonly and socially known as "dating" with a person under X age.

As I stated, IF a person for the sake of argument, over 18, "holds out" to the community and inner circles/parents that he is "dating" an under age person, let's say under the age of sexual consent, you can bet that person will be investigated.

I will cite here some possible MA violations:

Chapter 272: Section 31. Definitions

“Lascivious intent”, a state of mind in which the sexual gratification or arousal of any person is an objective. For the purposes of prosecution under this chapter, proof of lascivious intent may include, but shall not be limited to, the following:

(1) whether the circumstances include sexual behavior, sexual relations, infamous conduct of a lustful or obscene nature, deviation from accepted customs and manners, or sexually oriented displays;

CHAPTER 272. CRIMES AGAINST CHASTITY, MORALITY, DECENCY AND GOOD ORDER

Chapter 272: Section 35A. Unnatural and lascivious acts with child under 16

Section 35A. Whoever commits any unnatural and lascivious act with a child under the age of sixteen shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than five years or in jail or the house of correction for not more than two and one half years, and whoever over the age of eighteen commits a second or subsequent such offence shall be sentenced to imprisonment in the state prison for a term of not less than five years.

CHAPTER 272. CRIMES AGAINST CHASTITY, MORALITY, DECENCY AND GOOD ORDER

Chapter 272: Section 16. Open and gross lewdness and lascivious behavior

Section 16. A man or woman, married or unmarried, who is guilty of open and gross lewdness and lascivious behavior, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than three years or in jail for not more than two years or by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars.

Now, whether or not you agree with these as possible violations. I do not know. I was merely pointing out that there are other laws that will indirectly address such behavior.

If your 14 year old said "Mom I am dating a boy, he's 19". You ask what she means by dating and she states "we kiss and hold hands right now". I suspect you would be scouring the law as to IF he is breaking any? Would you not??

At minimum, you would be outraged, would you not??

As far as the church comment, it was meant lightheartedly. If it came out offensively, you have my sincere apologies.
    The comment was out of your normal character, and surprised me, but still I gave it weight as a disrepectful one. If it was in jest, although off color, I accept your apology, thank you.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast